Any engineers??

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Jaybr

#11 Post by Jaybr »

I talked to Doug's head guy this week, and he's going to run some test for us on the flow bench. We'll find out exactly how restrictive the airbox is, and then play with some options:)

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

Cool!You guys rock.I was thinking of trying to make up a flow meter with a vacuum cleaner a clear tube and a ping pong ball!This will be much better.

Jaybr

#13 Post by Jaybr »

While on this topic, anyone ever try oxygenated fuel? just thinking it may help some if we can't get more air through the box.

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Never tried it but I know the crf450 that got 58 on dyno was running it.VP not sure what number.Alot of the pump gas is Oxygenated.High enough that you will fail gas test at national supposedly.

BGood

#15 Post by BGood »

I have the Abbotts racing air intake and have run VP Ultimate 4( which is oxygenated)and it runs really well, plus the motor seems to run cooler.
i don't have much time runnoing the motor with this setup but so far i like it.

JST

VP MR8

#16 Post by JST »

I have been using it for a while now but don't have any recomendations for those of you using the 1000 series computer.I have the 500 series and initally,it caused some overheating and back firing problems until I turned the fuel mixture up.I have not had it on a dyno or had anyone "tune" on it but there is more throttle response and more seat of the pants feel.

jfarrar

#17 Post by jfarrar »

i run oxygenated race fuel 99% of the time and it helps.motorsport 109 by vp.it gives it a lot more snap.plus when i tear down my engine it looks like it has never been ran.it burns.when i first ran it i had to richen my fuel setting quite a bitand if i run like c12 or the like i have to lean it out a bit or it will blow black soot.lol.the rule of thumb is up 5 jet sizes on a carbed engine.i think 2.55% oxy content is the ama limit so stick with that or keep your can out of site.lol;)

c41xracer

#18 Post by c41xracer »

Originally posted by BM426Racer
haydug, i would try to move the airbox inlets out toward the sides more, even to the corner.  im also looking to make an air box.  good idea in the making.

i like his idea but i would make the tubes longer to attach the filters to the air box directly and eliminate the plate

aroracer72

#19 Post by aroracer72 »

shoulda angled the wholes coming out of the air filters and the wholes going into the air horn. This way you coulda used rubber hose..and they flex enough to make a nice ark...and there for clearing the stem.
CHAD

Jaybr

#20 Post by Jaybr »

OK, after some intitial airbox testing I'm a little surprised.

Test was conducted on throttle body and airbox only, next test setup will include the head.

There is less than 2% loss in volume of flow through the airbox. This is with the filter installed.

Any modification to the airbox setup, including running the test with no filter, acutually decreased the flow volume:confused:

Based on this initial test, it doesn't look like modifying the box or using a clamp on filter will actually help any.

I'll post more info as the head itself is tested, it could be that the throttle body is our restriction point.