metal in oil pump again

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
wistech

#31 Post by wistech »

Could you please post detailed pics of everything so we can get a clear idea of exactly what you have going on there.

harleypitbull1

#32 Post by harleypitbull1 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Feb 19 2007, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could you please post detailed pics of everything so we can get a clear idea of exactly what you have going on there.

Wistech,

The motor has been back together for about a month. The decomp failed 8 weeks ago. After I got it back in, it puked oil. I took the side cover off and the middle plastic gear was broke in half, Tim warned me this would happen if I didnt get all the pieces of the decomp out. I have thrown all the old parts away, so I cant get pictures, The problem now is that for the second time I have a piece of metal stuck in the outside pump and the middle gear has stripped this time. I have to pull the motor back out but I spoke with Tim today and he said that it would be the same thing again with the pump, a small piece of metal in it. He never said anything about pulling the head but told me today that sometimes, something gets stuck in the 90 degree bend of the return line, and he said that he would pull the lines of to make sure it was clean this time, after I put the motor back in the first and 2nd time, it ran fine. So I dont think there are any problems besides this. Since I have got rid of the old parts, I cant post pictures, sorry. I do still have the cam that has a tiny spot on it that Tim circled, lol, thought I would keep it for a 100 dollar paper weight.

cannondale27

#33 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (harleypitbull1 @ Feb 19 2007, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did not check valve clearance. Once again I do body work for a living, so , How do I check it? I want to go through this thing and have it right. Also what do I need to do to change the valves? I called Tim today and ordered more gears and the oil pump parts, maybe I should get some valves also. I thought I would never get the cam back in and get it back in time but I did, so I am sure I can get the head and everything off too. How do I pressure test it after I put it back on? and yes c27, the pins did shear also.

You can do the head removal.To check valves just turn motor over to get cam lobes pointed at the inner allen bolts in each cam cap or in position shown in manual and useing feeler guages stick them in till you find one that DOESNT slide all the way through.Clearance is one size smaller.Its a bit late though since you wouldnt know if they changed unless they are way off.

harleypitbull1

#34 Post by harleypitbull1 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 19 2007, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can do the head removal.To check valves just turn motor over to get cam lobes pointed at the inner allen bolts in each cam cap or in position shown in manual and useing feeler guages stick them in till you find one that DOESNT slide all the way through.Clearance is one size smaller.Its a bit late though since you wouldnt know if they changed unless they are way off.

C27, are you talking about the clearance between the cam and the cam buckets? I did check that with a gauge sorry. I remember doing this because Tim sent me about 10 of those little shims and I had to run the right size down cause Tim did not send one small enough, lol IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT? I had to put the cam in, check it, take the cam out. I hope thats what it is

But I think I had the lobes stickings straight up on the cams when I checked them, is this right?

cannondale27

#35 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes that is what I am talking of.Did it change?
Lobes sticking straight up is not quite right because decomp could be acting on the exhaust bucket giving a very false reading.Could cause evry issue you have said.

After reshimming you MUST check again and should be a change.Was there?

harleypitbull1

#36 Post by harleypitbull1 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 19 2007, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes that is what I am talking of.Did it change?
Lobes sticking straight up is not quite right because decomp could be acting on the exhaust bucket giving a very false reading.Could cause evry issue you have said.

After reshimming you MUST check again and should be a change.Was there?

Yes it changed everytime I reshimmed, also I had to flip the lever on the decomp mechanism so it was not hitting the bucket. It seemed like I took the cam in and out a thousand times, lol. I dont remember what it was but I got it in specs, on the front lobe closest to the cam gear I had to go run down one size smaller shim than what Tim sent me, it was 2 sizes smaller than what was in there with the original cam. And by issues I have said, what are you referring too? The only problem is the metal in the oil pump now I think, but I will check the valve clearance again, after I get the motor apart. What were the specs on it again, I think it was like 8 to 12 thousandths if my memory serves me correctly.

cannondale27

#37 Post by cannondale27 »

If you didnt write down what you had it may not show a difference since I am talking even a .001 difference.But check anyway and if its out of spec you know for sure you need to change your valves.By issues I mean if there is a no clearance such as would be case if decomp was holding open exhaust valve and clearance was checked as so it could very easily wreak cambearing and decomp.

Where are you located?I would like to see someone go through this with you just once in person.I am confident you would have no worries after that.

harleypitbull1

#38 Post by harleypitbull1 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 19 2007, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you didnt write down what you had it may not show a difference since I am talking even a .001 difference.But check anyway and if its out of spec you know for sure you need to change your valves.By issues I mean if there is a no clearance such as would be case if decomp was holding open exhaust valve and clearance was checked as so it could very easily wreak cambearing and decomp.

Where are you located?I would like to see someone go through this with you just once in person.I am confident you would have no worries after that.

I am right in the middle of Tennessee, I dont think any of you guys are close to me. I would love to have someone walk me through it, also I would like to have it put on a dyno to get the mapping perfect sometime but I dont know where the closest one is.

cannondale27

#39 Post by cannondale27 »

Someone may offer in your location if not we will just have to keep going over internet.We all learn from going through these excersises.First of all do you have a factory manual?How about a digital camera?
For dyno tuning its easy you just go on a ride in area one is and hit dyno before ride.

Here is nearest dyno to you.
http://www.dynojet.com/maps/atvdynos/tn.htm

thedeatons

#40 Post by thedeatons »

Assuming you have a D&M and assuming they let you actually play with it while it's on the dyno... Many operators these days will not even let you in the room out here in Cali, and they just laugh at you when you tell them YOU have to map it while standing beside it. One dealership told us they only dyno what they sell... idiots... way to pay off an investment....