Anyone try to draw a sprocket in mastercam?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Zerotact

Anyone try to draw a sprocket in mastercam?

#1 Post by Zerotact »

I've got some stuff I'd like to play with, and wanted to know if anyone had tried to draw a sprocket in mastercam. I've got more free time than sense. Is there anywhere that will tell me the diameter and spacing of a 520 chain? Or some formula for calculating chain sprockets?

Zerotact

#2 Post by Zerotact »

OK, Looks Like:
520 Motorcycle Chain
.625" Pitch
.400" Pin Dia
.250" Wide

Sprocket .227" Thick
Min Dia = P / sin ( 180/ N )
Maj Dia = P x (0.6 + cot (180 / N) )
P = Pitch
N = Number of teeth

So, if i want a 52 tooth sprocket for my bike, I get
Min Dia = 10.3528245
Maj Dia = 10.7074830
And each center line is 6.9230 degrees apart
Any ideas on how to draw this up in mastercam? Hoping for an easy way.

BM426Racer

#3 Post by BM426Racer »

I can imagine that you would make a spocket just like a gear, same formulas and such, I'll have to look in my notes. As for mastercam, I'll talk to my buddy, I might be able to help you with an autocad drawing. Only other cam programs I've worked with are the virtual gibbs series.

Zerotact

#4 Post by Zerotact »

I've heard that it's a little diffrent than a gear, due to the arc on the teeth. I found a thing on how to lay a sprocket out manually. I am gonna have to play with MC a little to figure out what in the heck I am doing.

Honda92

#5 Post by Honda92 »

Kind of an outdated post but I was screwing around the other day with mastercam and under user apps there is a sprocket file, pretty much fill in the blanks and it looks like you're good to go. I found a formula off the internet a couple years ago and tried to get it to work several times with no luck. I think you need a special endmill to mill the shape of the teeth, I could be wrong though.