Wont stay running! plz help.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
exracer12

Wont stay running! plz help.

#1 Post by exracer12 »

cannondale cannible... well yesterday i went riding for a while and it ran awsome. well later towards the night i went to a party and shut the bike off and ocassionally startted it up to take a ride. Well after a while it got harder to start. Well the last time i went to start it when everyone was leaving it took about 5 min to start. and i figured it wasnt warmed up enough so i didnt think anything of it. well i pulled out and started driving and it shut off. so i started it back up and from then on i had to keep it at a high rpm or it shuts off.

so i started taking it home and it kept doing the same thing by shutting off at low rpm. Well about the 4th time of shutting off i tried starting it and it wouldnt start. just kept cranking. one time it shot a flame from the exhaust and popped. then it started and i took it home but really had to keep it reving for it to run.

What can be the problem? i dont got a d&m kit either.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

When my stock crank failed it did the same thing. I had to turn the idle up higher and higher to keep it running . Pull your oil filter and check for metal in it. Its probalbly not the problem since all Cannondale owners have upgraded thier cranks.

exracer12

#3 Post by exracer12 »

im located in PA. i had this bike for about 3 weeks now and the fuel filter was fine when i got the quad but didnt check it yet.

exracer12

#4 Post by exracer12 »

im going to change oil, tranny fluid, spark plug, fuel filter today. what all do i need to change all of this. i have all the tools but dont know the materials i need? onlt thing i have now is the oil filter.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

You know it could just be a weak battery or idle too low.At idle or low rpm our stators dont put out much.I would try giving the battery a good charge and also check the water level in it.Use distilled water if low.Check idle.

jesshamner

Re: .

#6 Post by jesshamner »

Originally posted by exracer12
im going to change oil, tranny fluid, spark plug, fuel filter today. what all do i need to change all of this. i have all the tools but dont know the materials i need?  onlt thing i have now is the oil filter.

The only other thing you need is a new fuel filter. You can get one at Napa Autoparts. Napa Gold 3011 fuel filter.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

A plugged fuel/tank screen filter gives the oposite symptom. It will idle perfect and loose power and die as you apply throttle. Check for swollen orings in the qwuick connects especially on the return side. Dont forget the battery cables for loose bolts .

exracer12

#8 Post by exracer12 »

is there a tranny filter?

if someone can do me a favor and take pictures of the locations of where to drain the fluids and oil filter. like i said i know very very little on this quad.

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

Download the owners manual . Its all in there. Its vital the tranny filter be installed straight in and the plug turns in easily. If it doesnt it will bend the filter and the tranny will eat it. You can chamfer the end of the tranny plug with a large drill bit to make the filter line up easier. An do not under any circumstances use a 12 point socket or wrench on the drain plugs. They are soft metal and will strip the hex head after the first or second time you do it.

Fill quads with 1.5 quarts of oil.

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Good catch ******
:cool:
the tranny fill is on the left side engine cover ,the engine fill is under the right headlight cover behind the headlight in the frame rail. Dont trust the dipstick. :eek: Make sure the engine oil at least covers the hole half way down the dipstick hole.