cam lobe worn... need help!!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
quadman22

cam lobe worn... need help!!

#1 Post by quadman22 »

well after taking my motor apart i found that one of the lobes on my exhaust cam was worn down quite a bit which means it wasnt opening the exhaust port all the way. the intake cam lobes are fine however. I know wistech had a problem like this. so my question is to anyone out there... what caused this to happen? i bought the bike and have put 2 hours on it so i dont know when the last time the oil was changed. Could this make the lobe wear down like that? if not then what cause this to happen. lastly, where can i buy a new exhaust camshaft? thanks for any help guys. im really desperate here. im already forced to miss my first race because of this:cry: :cry: Oh yeah, i will post pictures of it when i get home tonight around 10 or so

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Do a search for valve float.That is what causes the wear.Fix is new Kibblewhite valve springs and get your cam resufaced all from Haydug.Another possibility is that it was a bad cam but supposedly those were all caught at the factory.

timbomoose

#3 Post by timbomoose »

Also make sure to replace both valve tapets(buckets) when replacing a worn cam or will wear right out again.Valves will also need replaced from the bad cam because the valve get slapped eratic on a worn lobe and also if valve floating caused the cam to wear the valves were already getting slapped eratic from valves floating.2 $20 to $30 valves replaced can save alot of money down the road from worn valves breaking and damaging the head, piston,&cylinder.Call haydug for better and hotter cams.