metal in oil pump again

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Happyboy

#11 Post by Happyboy »

You don't[ have to flush the frame back out. Only time you have to do that is if you have a bearing go and metal is pumped through the frame.

thedeatons

#12 Post by thedeatons »

Just let me know on the magnets... I can get them in the mail pretty quick. Not trying to make money here, just trying to help. I can also throw a filter for the tube in so your pump will be protected. In case I don't check back here, just email me personally at : thedeatons@hotmail.com

harleypitbull1

#13 Post by harleypitbull1 »

I know you were not trying to make money deatons. And I really appreciate the offer. Let me tear it back down tommorrow and see for sure whats going on. The other guy is right, the decomp did not kill the motor but when it scattered, it ruined the cam and the cam bearing got eat up and it backed the main bolt out from the cam to the gear, so it immedately got completely out of time and died. QUESTION, THE RETURN HOLE THAT I AM BLOWING OUT BY THE OIL PUMP THAT GOES TO THE HEAD? DOES OIL GO DOWN THAT HOLE FROM THE HEAD TO THE OIL PUMP OR DOES THE PUMP PUT THE OIL UP THAT TO THE HEAD? Also , how do the magnets attach? How do you keep them attached to an aluminum piece?

iceracer17

#14 Post by iceracer17 »

How do we know if no metal was pumped into the frame?If there was any metal in the filter(don't know if there was) why wouldn't you flush the frame.If the motor's already out it's not that hard or expensive to do.
1st you said it quit right after the decomp broke,now you say it didn't kill the motor and ate up cam bearing and cam,so i would say there is more metal around in there than you think.
Metal will sit down by the pickup also.
Rear pellet magnet just sits in the rear oil inlet screen with nowhere to go.The others,use jb weld.

thedeatons

#15 Post by thedeatons »

We have magnets in three places, the sump pickup behind the screen, the rear frame entrance filter, and in the oil tube filter leading to the oil pump (running from the cam idler gear bracket)... We try not to use epoxy of any kind... just our practice. The magnets we use are made in such a way that they do not move anywhere.

harleypitbull1

#16 Post by harleypitbull1 »

Nobody has answered. The hole that runs from the oil pump cover when you take it off, the small one that you can blow air into and it will come out of the head, under the exhaust cam. Is this a return that oil flows down to the pump or does the pump put oil up to the head? I am interested in the magnets. I am sorry that I did not tell specifically what happened when the decomp broke, I dont really know. Timbo and Wistech talked about the problem and determined the decomp had broke, I took it apart and had to replace the cam, the buckets and the decomp. Dont know exactly in what order this happened nor do I assume anyone can tell me because nobody can see inside the motor while its running. This is the first problems I have had since Tim built the motor but it seems that it is never gonna end.

Sorry I left something out, after I fixed the cam and everything, there was no metal in the oil filter or the tranny filter. It was all clean when I rebuilt it. But not to say there isnt any know. The bearing just came apart, all the balls and everything were still in it, it just seperated, so the only thing that produced metal chunks should have been the decomp. We pieced it all together when we removed the pieces but obviously we missed one. The piece in the oil pump gear last time was tiny, so I took extra special care this time to get it all, but guess I was wrong again.

thedeatons

#17 Post by thedeatons »

cdsracer should be chiming in about this soon, but I believe that is fed UP to the head. I believe the tube beside it is the one that runs down to the pump and feeds unfiltered (meaning unmagneted) oil to the pump. I am having trouble remembering without an engine right in front of me... There are two tubes going to the cam idler gear bracket, both oil lines, one feeding up, the other feeding down... I just can't remember if the left one is up or the right one without looking... James

claas900

#18 Post by claas900 »

The two tubes that run next to eachother, same size same length. One feeds the head the other sucks oil from the head. The hole you see buy the exhaust cam is the suction/ return that????????s were your getting stuff/ metal from IF it????????s coming from the head,into the pump. The other half of your pump is sucking oil from the motor, tho it has a screen on it. Witch then the oil comes out the right side of the motor, next to the drain plug in the rubber hose back into your frame.

harleypitbull1

#19 Post by harleypitbull1 »

Ok thanks, I guess there are just some small shavings that have got into that return line. I blowed air up that hole atleast 3 or 4 times and nothing ever came out. Therefore I assumed this time I had gotten it all. But obviously I didnt. Should I invest in the metal gears or just go back with the plastic ones? There is no metal in the oil filter and the last time the inside gears on the 2nd pump were still free and you could turn them with your hand freely, I hope they are still free cause Tim said it was alot more work if you had to change them. Maybe a small piece of the decomp shavings were still in the return and when I rode it they shook loose and went to the pump.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

You dont need the metal gears.Save your $.Terrible luck.Like said magnets are best preventive measure.No way anyone can guarantee all metal is out of system no matter how well cleaned.Filters only show some of what goes through since there is a bypass in pump and really only some of oil is even filtered.Try not to get too discouraged.Alot of us have been through the in/out in/out routine more than once.Sometimes a break for a few weeks in between does wonders for ambition.