what size shims...?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
quadman22

what size shims...?

#1 Post by quadman22 »

alright well i know i need to replace a valve shim in my motor because someone put the wrong one in:mad: a 3.30:( it was way too big and cause my cam lobe to wear as well as my buckets. So now i need to figure out what size shim belongs there. i will also check all the others to make sure they are right too. So can anyone give me a step by step on how to figure out what size shims to use?? thanks a ton. My z-400 bearing will be in by tuesday so maybe i'll be up and running by next weekend. finally!

and also i cannot say enough good about brad oakley from Black Widow. He has really helped me out a ton. He's the man to go to if u need anything. Thanks again brad!

-Dan

jfarrar

#2 Post by jfarrar »

shims for a z400 will work.i believe the are 9.5mm diameter but not posotive(some one verify that?)

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

I am not sure on the size but yea, the Z400 style shims work. You can't guess what shim size you will need. You actually have to measure it. I would install the smallest one you have in your motor in place of that and measure it. If you don't have any small ones or you still have measure it then stick something like a 2.45 in there. You should be able to get a good measurement then and then use the tables in the back of the engine manual to calculate the size shim you need.

And as always, double check this. Once you install the final shim you want to remeasure to be sure it is good. Sometime you can be inbetween a size with the shims and choose the wrong one. Just double check it when you are done.

This make any sense? And who the **** put a 3.3 in there?

quadman22

#4 Post by quadman22 »

either the hack job guy i bought it off of or its a result of the great quality control of cannondale:rolleyes: either way it cost me a few hundred !! alright so when i put the shim in and bolt the cam down what two parts do i measure between? im guessing the cam lobe and the bucket? and where should the cam lobe be facing? does it all have to be timed correctly to do this? thanks guys

-Dan

Cdale_racer_669

#5 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

measure at TDC between lobe and bucket. i wuld think that u wuld want all the timing done, so that the cam is in the right position

quadman22

#6 Post by quadman22 »

so i have to re-install the head,piston and all that?? or can i do this with the head off? also does it need to be timed?

cdalerider75

#7 Post by cdalerider75 »

quadman22... I have your clutch cover... when I drop it off I can help with your timminig.. when do you expect to have your parts in? Also read the manual.. the 02' manual shows how and where to measure page 52.

If you have a digital cam.. take photos and post!!

What I have learned it if you have a question, post a photo!!!

Doug.. can we get tee shirts... with the following?

Have a question, post a photo!!!:deal:

quadman22

#8 Post by quadman22 »

chris i cant really do anything till i see u again cause i dont have a valve spring compressor. Everything is already in other than my crank bearing which will be here on tuesday. I will probably bring my crank to the builder on wednesday. thanks

-Dan