Rebuild 2nd Attempt

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
quadman22

#11 Post by quadman22 »

btw thanks for posting these pics cause i need to do this to my cams veryyy soon:D

cdalerider75

#12 Post by cdalerider75 »

CLOSE UP PHOTO OF THE TIMMING

Happyboy

#13 Post by Happyboy »

So what? Do you want us to approve everything you are touching? Man, have some faith in your work. If something doesn't fit then post a question. Otherwise people are going to see so many of your pictures and posts that they aren't going to see the real problem if you have one.

Just don't expect it to go together right the first time. Somewhere along the line something is going to be weird. Just think it through and then if you can't figure it out post a question.

And this is constructive critisism. I just don't want your posts to be ignored because you post everything you are doing and have something fall through the cracks.

cdalerider75

#14 Post by cdalerider75 »

OK SO I CHECKED THE VALVE CLEARANCE AND MY STOCK SHIMS WERE 2.65... THE FOLLOWING MEASUREMENTS ARE AS SHOWN IN THE PHOTO.... DOES THESE NUMBERS SOUND WAY OFF?

PLEASE IF ANYONE SEES ANYTHING.. PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

Happyboy

#15 Post by Happyboy »

sad.gif Yeah, those numbers are off man. What does the manual say they should be? You need to reshim to get them into spec. Also, don't throw the shims in there and measure. You need to turn it over a couple times to be sure everything is seating before you measure.

Also, do you have a degree wheel to double check your timing advancement with? I have not advanced or retarded the cams before so I don't know what they should look like.

cdalerider75

#16 Post by cdalerider75 »

btw some damage from the first rebuild.. inside the case

Exodus

#17 Post by Exodus »

Those cams look right to me, I did mine the same way. Havent had any probs and degreed them to make sure. The numbers on the cam to bucket looks way off to me, might want to roll it over like happy said and check it again before tearing it down.

cdalerider75

#18 Post by cdalerider75 »

Originally posted by Happyboy
sad.gif   Yeah, those numbers are off man.  What does the manual say they should be?  You need to reshim to get them into spec.  Also, don't throw the shims in there and measure.  You need to turn it over a couple times to be sure everything is seating before you measure.  

Also, do you have a degree wheel to double check your timing advancement with?  I have not advanced or retarded the cams before so I don't know what they should look like.

I aligned up the timing and turned the cams over until they were aligned again, then measured. Another words I turned it over a boat load of times before I measured. Remember new valves and buckets... doing it right this time!!!

So if I looked at the manual...

.038 = 3.35mm (335 shim)
.043 = 3.5mm (350 shim)
.007 = 2.6mm (260 shim)

Is that correct based off of my measurements?

Exodus

#19 Post by Exodus »

Dont you love that part, "the timing is almost lined up, no wait, one more time, no one more time",,,,,,,,37 times later you miss the marks and go past it. Only on a four stroke. LOL

Jaybr

#20 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by cdembek
I aligned up the timing and turned the cams over until they were aligned again, then measured. Another words I turned it over a boat load of times before I measured. Remember new valves and buckets... doing it right this time!!!

So if I looked at the manual...

.038 = 3.35mm (335 shim)
.043 = 3.5mm (350 shim)
.007 = 2.6mm (260 shim)

Is that correct based off of my measurements?

It depends on what shims are in it now.