fx400 ball bearing cranks?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
440EX4ME

#21 Post by 440EX4ME »

Just wanted to update on my results on finding the right replacements, and so far it seems the search continues. Dont want to sound impatient but I know my customers would have moved on if I had took this long finding a common bearing.

Anyhow soon as I get answers I like I will update you all.

As far as the spalling is concerned I have to think from what was described that this is a result of one of two things, too much thrust load and or a mechanical problem with rod or crank that would cause it to be out of balance etc. that would change the load characteristics.

Its really tough to diagnose failures like those even with the proper equipment etc, but almost impossible to do it accurately thru description. I know there are people out there who can pretty much look at a failed bearing and be almost 100% on the cause of failure, and I feel that confident with ones I have experience with similar failures too, but there are so many variables that this method of eyeballing is only a rough estimate even if correct much of the time.

Also the internal clearences had not been specified in any of the posts I have seen, so let me know if there is a need for a c4 or c3 etc, and if you think the newer "tighter" cranks may see an advantage from decreased clearence.

wistech

#22 Post by wistech »

I picked up a couple of the skf version of the crank bearings . They were double the price of what the stock torrington bearings cost. My bearing shop said they though both were top of the line bearings. Both were made in germany .

Its tempting to bore the cases out and stick the left side bearings in the right side. Just not a whole lot of meat in there to deal with.

440EX4ME

#23 Post by 440EX4ME »

Originally posted by wistech
I picked up a couple of the skf version of the crank bearings . They were double the price of what the stock torrington bearings cost.  My bearing shop said they though both were top of the line bearings. Both were made in germany .

Its tempting to bore the cases out and stick the left side bearings in the right side. Just not a whole lot of meat in there to deal with.

They got ya sad.gif

I wont bore everyone with a global economics lesson, but with all the mergers in the bearing industry, and the newer plants so many have built in "less expensive" labor nations combined with how many of them actually share products (balls, rollers, inner or outer rings etc) between each other etc I think its almost impossible to relate price to brand fairly, and unless your comparing true third world production (china etc) to that of the premier established manufacturing powers (US, Ger, Jap etc) there shouldnt be more than a small difference in price.

When there is a large gap it has more to do with what the market will bear (It bears a min of 30% more in the US and considerably more in some instances) than anything else.

Next time you see that guy give him a hug cause it seems he may have given you more already biggrin.gif

wistech

#24 Post by wistech »

They both say they are made in germany right on them but but you can tell they are not made in the same plant. Different cages ,finish ect.

440EX4ME

#25 Post by 440EX4ME »

I have not kept up with the who bought who over the last 5 years or so and I know there has been some deals done over that time, but for the most part any of the Euro or Japan products should be of a high quality.

Dont take that to mean they are all the same as their not, but just that even if a US based or even one of the Euro companies merged in some way with one of the others the end products should still be quality even if not actually made by the company that we were familiar with them being made by etc.

I am still waiting on replies on my inquires (and these were the people I had thought to be "best" lol) and actually am considering just making some calls directly to the MFG if I dont hear something soon.