crack in crakcase...

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cdalerider75

crack in crakcase...

#1 Post by cdalerider75 »

First this is not my motor.. someone on this sites motor..

So tonight I was going to help rebild a motor for someone on this site.. when this person was gathering the parts to bring to my house.. found a, well in his own words

"my raw crankcase is cracked... has a small pin hole between the crank area and the tranny" and "a hairline crack about 2 inches long with a small pin hole in the middle"

The only thing is with this bike the top end had never blown up.. didn't drop a valve... so I don't understand why there would be a crack in the case?

Any reasons why this would happen...

FYI...No motor mount update..

Also how quick do you think a shop could knock out a weld? What would be the cost?

Sorry I might have photos later today to post!!

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Was it a SSM crankcase? (the one with Cannondale near the drain plug) Just curious.....

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Cant wait to see the pics.

cdalerider75

#4 Post by cdalerider75 »

hey guys this is quadman22... its my crankcase that cracked. When i was talking to Brad Oakley i described what had happened and imediately he said he knew what it was. He said my crankshaft plate my have backed out a tiny bit and this would cause this area to crack. i think this may be a possibilty because if i remember right the bolts were a little loose when i looked at it even though i have a stage 8. Plus i dont know what may have happened before i owned the bike either. anyways do u guys think this could be it? ti'll post pics tonight. thanks

-Dan

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Will wait till I see pics.Be more specific about the bolts.Were they to torque or not?Loctited?Tabs correctly positioned?Seen cracks with tight bolts kinda matters where they are.I highly doubt Brad said he knew what it was over the phone.He was just trying to be a help and guessing like we all do for lots of these problems.Informed guessing,research and time is all we have.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

If you dont know any local competent welders my bro ( a welder instructor.) is welding a few of my salvaged cases soon. If you want I could throw it in with the rest. But get some pics up. I have had one repaired with a major 4 inch long crack going between the tranny and the crankcase and into the sleeve bore. It wasnt all the way through the meat of the case just a shallow surface crack. It was a early cable clutch case.

If you can get it done locally make sure to get 100% of the oil out of the crack.

quadman22

#7 Post by quadman22 »

im going to meet with a highly respected welder tomorrow and he's gonna tell me if he can do it or not. Im pretty sure he will be able to do it tho. i had one guy look at it today and said it definately can be done but he couldnt cause he didnt have the right type of welder. I cant get pics tonight cause its gettin late but i promise i'll have em up tomorrow. Thanks

-Dan