rock bottom... HATE my dale

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
quadman22

rock bottom... HATE my dale

#1 Post by quadman22 »

hey guys... I've really hit rock bottom here. My c-dale had been NOTHING but problems since the day i bought it. First my cam lobes were worn, then i had to replace my crank bearing, then my case cracked, then my case got warped so the crankcase plate wont fit. I've put hundreds of $$ into this bike so far and haven't even ridden it yet. I hate this bike, i honestly dont feel i could ever buy a cannondale again. Im not trying to offend anyone but im in highschool and cant afford this ****. Im not even mad anymore, i've had so much disappointment that im just depressed about everything. It really can't get any worse from here. Now i think i have to get a new case... not sure if that'll be happening, may just end up parting out. Who knows? All i care about is riding, its my absolute favorite thing in the world... racing is my life! and now i dont even know if i'll be racing at all this year let alone even riding in general. Will this ever end??? sorry but i just needed to vent. Thanks for everyone that has helped so far (2000ex,wistech,Brad Oakley,cdembek,cdalemx301)

btw... how much would i end up with if i parted out?:cry: :cry: :drink:

cdalemx301

#2 Post by cdalemx301 »

$0...lol ....don't part it out just spend the lil extra and buy that case...come on you put so much into it you cant give up now you will never make that money back and you don't want a dirt bike... Come on just fix it you know you want its been crappy so far but you know you will love it when you fix it come on....:usa

Cdale_racer_669

#3 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

we all hate our dales at times....well most of us lol. just get some money and buy a whole new engine or something from someone, and get back into it!! :clap:

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

Case is warped? Not likely. The crank plates don't just slide in and out. Now, do yourself a favor and send this motor to doug or someone. With the rate you are going you are going to spend more money doing it yourself. Its already torn down so they may knock off a buck. smile.gif

cdalerider75

Re: rock bottom... HATE my dale

#5 Post by cdalerider75 »

Originally posted by quadman22
hey guys... I've really hit rock bottom here. My c-dale had been NOTHING but problems since the day i bought it. First my cam lobes were worn, then i had to replace my crank bearing, then my case cracked, then my case got warped so the crankcase plate wont fit. I've put hundreds of $$ into this bike so far and haven't even ridden it yet. I hate this bike, i honestly dont feel i could ever buy a cannondale again. Im not trying to offend anyone but im in highschool and cant afford this ****. Im not even mad anymore, i've had so much disappointment that im just depressed about everything. It really can't get any worse from here. Now i think i have to get a new case... not sure if that'll be happening, may just end up parting out. Who knows? All i care about is riding, its my absolute favorite thing in the world... racing is my life! and now i dont even know if i'll be racing at all this year let alone even riding in general. Will this ever end??? sorry but i just needed to vent. Thanks for everyone that has helped so far (2000ex,wistech,Brad Oakley,cdembek,cdalemx301)

btw... how much would i end up with if i parted out?:cry: :cry: :drink:

Dan,

I don't feel bad for you at all..... enough with the poor me sob story.... I hate Cannandale. I offered to to rebuild that damm motor for free (people I was not trying to take any business away from anyone, dan at the time had no money and I wanted to help this guy out... he is a good kid and a great rider)... I rebuilt your head, even ran around to get the correct shims (yes you did pay for the shims).... you didn't even need buy any new tools cause I had the tools, which was a 80$ cost. In the end you stated the you didn't want to drive the 40mins to my house because of the cost of gas and how you couldn't stay late if it got late. I am not trying to be a D!@K here nor am I stating that I am a expert on rebuilding these motors.... it is just that I have rebuilt two and both started right up (ok the first one ending up taking out the head again, but something I don't see happening again) Parting out... I doubt you will get much for it.... so wipe the tears away, roll up the seelves and get cranking on the motor.... post some damm pics... but I highly doubt that the motor is warped.

cdalerider75

#6 Post by cdalerider75 »

Also you didn't buy this bike... your traded our 400ex for it... or at least that is the story that you told me. Please correct me if I am wrong.

KRMit

#7 Post by KRMit »

I feel your pain brother. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have bought the Dale. It's been worked on way more than ridden. The motor I put in it was a Winky disaster which was out of time and had all kinds of crap in the head. I can't blame Cannondale for that, but the stuff that has happened since... Instead of the swingarm bearings peacefully going out and causing slack like they do in other bikes, they grenaded their way through my swingarm causing me to need a new one. Now my cylinder is cracked for no apparent reason. It's one problem right after another.

With that said, I think the power is awesome. I can't believe the grunt this thing has. Getting the fuel rates set just right is a pain but it's a lot better than changing jets.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by KRMit
I feel your pain brother. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have bought the Dale. It's been worked on way more than ridden. The motor I put in it was a Winky disaster which was out of time and had all kinds of crap in the head. I can't blame Cannondale for that, but the stuff that has happened since... Instead of the swingarm bearings peacefully going out and causing slack like they do in other bikes, they grenaded their way through my swingarm causing me to need a new one. Now my cylinder is cracked for no apparent reason. It's one problem right after another.

With that said, I think the power is awesome. I can't believe the grunt this thing has. Getting the fuel rates set just right is a pain but it's a lot better than changing jets.

Sounds like you ride it until it breaks??? Why didn't you go over the bike first? Greasing swingarm pivot bearings, axle bearings, front wheel bearings are standard maintenence. On your swingarm, I think it has been proven over and over again, when someone puts these things back together without some of the parts, a damaged swingarm can happen. If you would have checked this out before hand.......

Guys, it's simple we own race bikes. It's like trying to compare a Ferrari to a Ford. How many Ferraris do you see with 100,000 miles on them? Yet, do you want to see Ferrari's trophy case? A Ford couldn't compete in 1/2 the races they have run. If you buy a used bike, spend a day checking it out. When you tear a motor out, get help the first time or two you go thru it. It will save you a lot of headaches.

KRMit

#9 Post by KRMit »

Sounds like you ride it until it breaks???
Sounds like you jump to conclusions???

No need to get all defensive. rolleyes.gif

I just purchased the bike from someone a couple months ago. It's not like I've been riding the thing for years and something finally gave out. But at any rate my complaint wasn't that the swingarm bearings went out (all bearings do that eventually), but rather that they took the swingarm out with them. This doesn't usually happen on other bikes.

Everyone I ride with has race bikes and none require the TLC of the Cannondale. A friend of mine has a 450r he rides every weekend hard and has only had to perform regular maintenance over the past 1.5 years he's had it. Then again, Jwheat's Cannondale seems to have run good ever since he got it (with the exception of his swingarm bearings damaging the swingarm same as mine). Maybe it's not Cannondale that is really to blame, but more my bad luck. I just wouldn't have bought this Dale if I had it to do over again.

cdalemx301

#10 Post by cdalemx301 »

Hey Chris For starters calm down your being a lil harsh on the kid....Its not his fault that this motor won't go back together he got the shaft in the deal... There is no need to jump down his throat on not getting to rebuld his motor he wanted the expierance and wanted to learn about these motors...I don't doubt that somethin is warped by the looks of the way this piece was going in.. everything fit together then he had it welded and now it wont fit back together...According to some sources we have talked to uneven heat from a welder could have caused just enough distortion in the parts that it couldnt fit back together...