rock bottom... HATE my dale

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
quadman22

#11 Post by quadman22 »

thanks mike. Chris u really do need to calm down. i dont know why u are so pissy about this. Sorry i've put well over 500 miles on my truck the last week and dont have the $$ or time to drive up there. If u want to build it so bad why couldn't u have come down here? all the parts are here and i dont have to leave at any certain time here...so wouldnt that make more sense? and also... me and mike tried putting this plate on for 3 HOURS. It will not go on. Something isnt right. Wes is comin over to look at it sometime soon so i'll have another opinion. i am also going to call the welder and see if he has any ideas as to why this happened. This whole situation has just sucked so far. Im just concerned that even when it does go together...what will happen next? this bikes does not want to run.

Happyboy

#12 Post by Happyboy »

crack...welded....warped?? holy cow.

2000ex

#13 Post by 2000ex »

Everyone needs to calm themselves.

Chris, I am sure Dan thanked you for helping him with getting things on the right track as far as his head and crank. Yet for some reason you feel slighted because he wanted to complete the rest of the build himself. This community is here to help people with tech tips and keep these great bikes alive.

I cannot tell you how much time I have spent in helping other fellow friends/riders with free work and not expect something from it. Nor would I feel slighted if they decided to do somthing on their own. Without doing something yourself how are you expected to learn? Thankfully when I was younger I had people to teach me and help me out when I was growing up. Now I feel a sense of doing the same to others. I certainly can understand his point of view, as I have been at that age and can appreciate having limited funds.

Lets all calm down :cheers: I will look at this motor and see what the issue may be...IMO I dont think that the case is warped. TIG welding a cast case crack should NOT cause enough heat to warp it.

quadman22

#14 Post by quadman22 »

i did thank him numerous times. and yes i do want to do this myself because i will know more next time it needs to be done but i also told chris it would be fine for him to come down too since HE wanted to help so bad. Wes if ur around this week you can swing by any time after 9 tomorrow or anytime after i get outta school friday. whatever works for you. And i'd also like to add that wes has done more for me than anyone i could think of (not including my dad) . He has given me so much help and so much of his time/knowledge that i honestly have no idea how i could possibly re-pay him although i know someday i will...somehow. And he expects very little back. And when i want to do things myself he steps back and lets me go right at it. I wouldnt know half as much as i do w/o his help. Thanks

2000ex

#15 Post by 2000ex »

You're welcome, there is no need for anymore emotional drivel here....this thread has had enough of that.

Lets get this thing figured out, back together, and pissed off once again. tongue.gif :usa :head:

cdalerider75

#16 Post by cdalerider75 »

Ok... hello guys... I don't know why you all think I need to calm down.... I am calm... have been and will remain calm.....

happyboy has helped me see the light!!!

The story for people that want to read...
About a couple weeks ago Dan received his new buckets and was unsure about how to shim the valves... so I told him if he brought the head to me I would help him out... When he was over he offered to pay me and I declined.. I told him that "the only thing that I want is to be the one that rebuilds the motor" and he said no prob.. he just wanted to be there. To me that is a deal between 2 people, some people on this site whould kill to have someone help them and do the work for them for free. Next thing I know I am being told "well if you want to build the motor, you will have to drive to my house". It would be shame on me for going out of my way when your the one that needs the help.

So I guess I am just upset at myself....

I just wished that Dan posted the correct story...

1st - he traded his working 400ex for the dale.. he did not pay for it

2nd - He didn't have to replace the crank bearing he wanted to change the crank bearing

3rd - I don't feel bad for someone in highschool that claims poor me, I have no money... when they have a part time job of ~30 hours a week where they don't have to pay rent or perhaps as many bills as a guy with a apt/house, wife and kids.

Again.. I am not mad at anyone but myself... I wish everyone lots of luck regarding their quad. I love helping people finding a deal and helping for free... if that is what the deal is....I only wanted to have another motor under my belt... but I get out of work at 5:30 and your house is 60 mins away from where I work, plus all my tools are at my house...

cdalemx301

#17 Post by cdalemx301 »

Chris he didn't need to replace his crank bearing No! but would you have done all this work and not replaced yours? No you wouldn't have. If I remember correctly you replaced your bearing with this last rebuild did you not? And when it was removed it had no wear and did not need to be done right?.... Its not logical to do all this work to your motor then risk your crank bearing blowing it all apart you know that your the one who told me that...You said it yourself its a 60 minute drive to your house from his he is a high school kid has finals coming up and works to try and support his hobbies...Dont get upset with him because he decided he can't get to you to have you rebuild it he offered to you that you could go to him and help...Gas is expensive and parts are expensive....he has already spent well over 500 dollars in parts alone and is probably quite more in gas trying to get around...I don't pay for much you know that i was fortunate to have parents help with just about everything I own...But if i was in his situation even with all the work i do i would still be tight on money so don't get mad at him for the saying he is a poor high school kid...I have heard many people on this site say WHOA im broke this rebuild is costing me alot...these bikes arent expensive and dont hate the kid because he is just trying to get his bike going again for as cheap as possible...How about we all calm down and just get along we dont need a civil war between cannondale owners in MA tongue.gif

theJeStEr1340

#18 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

See now that's the problem with northerners, they all expect to live so close to each other, here in the south our closest neighbor is 2 hours away, when we want something, we meet at our property lines and always have a pig pickin, my neighbor brings the pig, my family the fixins, the other neighbor the drinks, and then there is that no good other neighbor that nobody likes that never brings anything and just eats. lol I know how this kid feels, I am in high school, well was, today was my last exam so I guess I am out of highschool now, but over the past 6 months I have probably dropped $3500 into my bike, and havn't touched the motor!

KRMit

#19 Post by KRMit »

Originally posted by theJeStEr1340
See now that's the problem with northerners, they all expect to live so close to each other, here in the south our closest neighbor is 2 hours away, when we want something, we meet at our property lines and always have a pig pickin, my neighbor brings the pig, my family the fixins, the other neighbor the drinks, and then there is that no good other neighbor that nobody likes that never brings anything and just eats. lol I know how this kid feels, I am in high school, well was, today was my last exam so I guess I am out of highschool now, but over the past 6 months I have probably dropped $3500 into my bike, and havn't touched the motor!

North Carolina... yankee! :usa

cdalerider75

#20 Post by cdalerider75 »

Originally posted by cdalemx301
You said it yourself its a 60 minute drive to your house from his he is a high school kid has finals coming up and works to try and support his hobbies...Dont get upset with him because he decided he can't get to you to have you rebuild it he offered to you that you could go to him and help...Gas is expensive and parts are expensive....he has already spent well over 500 dollars in parts alone and is probably quite more in gas trying to get around...I don't pay for much you know that i was fortunate to have parents help with just about everything I own...But if i was in his situation even with all the work i do i would still be tight on money so don't get mad at him for the saying he is a poor high school kid...I have heard many people on this site say WHOA im broke this rebuild is costing me alot...these bikes arent expensive and dont hate the kid because he is just trying to get his bike going again for as cheap as possible...How about we all calm down and just get along we dont need a civil war between cannondale owners in MA tongue.gif

Wow Mike I can't believe you would chime in further....

1. I stated that it is 60 mins from my work to his house
2. He agreed that he would let me rebuild and drop off the motor to me... I even told him that he could drop the whole bike and I would do the whole thing!! I also told him that I could work around his schedule at night or on the weekends to get him up and running.
3. "finals coming up and works to try and support his hobbies" OMFG... try project dead lines at a real job!!! Try going part time to school also... try to have hobbies like this one while living on your own paying child support!!!!!

I am sorry this was a dead issue for me with my last post... but now I am pissed....

Again.. my only point to my first post is after reading his first post.. I don't feel bad for him... and can't stand the poor me deal!! That is it... that is all...

I JUST DON"T FEEL SORRY FOR HIS TROUBLES!!! I DID BEFORE BUT NOT NOW!!! YES IF I WANTED TO REBUILD SO BAD I COULD OF DRIVEN DOWN... BUT WHY AM I GOING TO PUT MYSELF OUT IF HE IS THE ONE THAT COULD OF USED THE HELP?? HOW I LOOK AT IT IS.... IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF HOW A REBUILD IS GOING TO GO AND LIVE CLOSE TO SOMEONE THAT HAS BEEN THRU IT BEFORE... I WOULD DRIVE TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING WOULD GO TOGETHER OK WITHOUT OR WITH MINOR ISSUES....

ALSO THE TUBE THAT WAS BROKEN DURRING THE REBUILD... HOW MUCH DID THAT COST PLUS SHIPPING??... MORE THAN THE COST OF GAS I BET......