clutch problems

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jwheat

#11 Post by jwheat »

I'll take your word on the bleeding techique.....but no one has answered my question of why DOT3 or DOT5 brake fluid would not work. I'm an automotive mechanic and no cars or trucks that I know of use mineral oil or a similiar fluid in their hydraulic applications. Can someone explain this to me?

I'M NOT SUGGESTING THAT SOMEONE TRY THIS!

Note.....I have been using DOT5 brake fluid in mine for almost a year now and I haven't had any problems.

quadman22

#12 Post by quadman22 »

alright i've been here before. my guess is that it isnt the clutch needing to be bled although this could be it but if its not then heres whats wrong... take the clutch cover off. there will be an adjustment screw in the middle of the clutch. Back the locking nut off and turn the screw in all the way. Then once it has bottomed out, turn it out 3 complete turns then tighten the locking nut. If this screw isnt adjusted right then it will totally throw ur clutch off. I had this exact problem. Its an easy, costless fix. goodluck and if u have any questions just ask

-Dan

haydug

#13 Post by haydug »

Good call quadman, and also do NOT use 10/40 in your clutch. I have used mineral oil with good results, but doesn't allow the feel that the magura blood does.

jacobw

#14 Post by jacobw »

Thanks guys I will bleed the clutch and also check that adjustment screw so just turn it all the way till it bottoms out them turn it out 3 turns I think I got it.

Happyboy

#15 Post by Happyboy »

How does that little screw get out of adjustment?

jacobw

#16 Post by jacobw »

beats me I have not a clue about this that why I am gathering info. smile.gif

jacobw

#17 Post by jacobw »

we bled and put some mineral oil in it and it works good. We have a race this weekend so we will put the new timbo crank to the test smile.gif :deal:

azcannon

#18 Post by azcannon »

Originally posted by jwheat
I'll take your word on the bleeding techique.....but no one has answered my question of why DOT3 or DOT5 brake fluid would not work. I'm an automotive mechanic and no cars or trucks that I know of use mineral oil or a similiar fluid in their hydraulic applications. Can someone explain this to me?

I'M NOT SUGGESTING THAT SOMEONE TRY THIS!

Note.....I have been using DOT5 brake fluid in mine for almost a year now and I haven't had any problems.

I would guess the reason would be he clutch slave cylinder is inside the engine and if the seals blew out or leaked they wouldnt want brake fluid mixing with the engine or trans oil , and the nature of mineral oil is extremely mild to nothing , but brake fluid is corrosive to paint and who knows what else ? gaskets loctite? clutch discs
As far as the adjustment screw on the clutch plates I would think that would need adjusted once in a while for the difference in the clutch plates wearing and the pushrod and ball bearing wearing some gap in the channel they ride in

jwheat

#19 Post by jwheat »

Az....I would say that is a pretty reasonable guess, but I only have one problem with it......Magura also says to use only mineral oil in their hydraulic clutch systems that you bolt on any other quad and those slave cylinders simply mount externally on the engine case and have no contact with engine or tranny oils. If our slave cylinder was the only one they recommended this on, then I might agree with you. I think there must be some other explanation behind this.

Happyboy

#20 Post by Happyboy »

Actually, magura recomends you only use Magura blood in them.