Moto won't start

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
fixthedale

#11 Post by fixthedale »

There's hardly any play in the flywheel and the engine turns over pretty easy until the compression stroke and i have to muscle it to get it past there. i can't feel anything wrong there.

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

Check to make sure the throttle body boot has not come off. I mean you really have to look closely to see if it is not torn or pulled up off the manifold. If they do have any air leakage they will start very hard and backfire through the intake .

Canniboomer

#13 Post by Canniboomer »

The new flywheels aren't crap; they are a cheap bargain, the only thing available, and just suffer from a weak hub-to-body bond, and more than a few fail. With visible cracks and an earlier repair, you may risk ruining an expensive stator. Maybe check for a weak battery caused by loose grounds or chafing of the stator leads behind flywheel. If you want a new flywheel already pinned for added security, I have one $100 plus ship, and you can add a puller. pacrimdm@msn.com

fixthedale

#14 Post by fixthedale »

Originally posted by 61austin
You might check your oil filter for shavings also. I don't wish this on anybody but those are also symptoms of a rod bearing failure.

Oil and filter were shaving free and the oil after four motos and three long practice days looked really good when we changed it.

fixthedale

#15 Post by fixthedale »

Originally posted by Canniboomer
The new flywheels aren't crap; they are a cheap bargain, the only thing available, and just suffer from a weak hub-to-body bond, and more than a few fail.   With visible cracks and an earlier repair, you may risk ruining an expensive stator.  Maybe check for a weak battery caused by loose grounds or chafing of the stator leads behind flywheel.  If you want a new flywheel already pinned for added security, I have one $100 plus ship, and you can add a puller.  pacrimdm@msn.com

check your pm's

aroracer72

#16 Post by aroracer72 »

Yeah,
Flywheel probs are starting to pop up recently..... And BTW for all of you buying the flywheel pullers, a flywheel puller from a chainsaw(NOT SHURE WHICH) works on the dales. Got mine for like 8 dollars at a local place.
CHAD

fixthedale

#17 Post by fixthedale »

ok, i got a new flywheel and put it on. the old one wasn't really causing the problem but it was in terrible condition. the lower clamp on the boot to the throttle body was loose. i swore that i had checked it before but it was really loose. when we tightened it up it started right up but revved high. we backed off the idle and got it running really good yesterday. today it will not start. we charged up the battery and checked connections but it isn't even sputtering or backfiring or burping or anything. we have a race coming up and the reliability is really getting discouraging. it seems like we aren't going to be able to count on this thing to run when we need it to. i hate to spend 300 bucks on a dm kit and still not be able to get it to run. i need help bad. my email is jmridenour1@netzero.com and my phone is 573-847-9353. we'll probably be home but we really should be at the track practicing.

mike

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

Well if you dont have a D&M and havent ridden it much I bet you have just fouled the plug.Also which problems you listed are reliability problems?Any quad can have exact same issues if care isnt taken.

Canniboomer

#19 Post by Canniboomer »

...While the flywheel was off, did you check those wires behind the stator for possible chafing or no shielding update?? That problem can weaken the battery by the end of the day, and the next day it may only crank strong enough to foul the plug -- then you charge the battery back up, and it still won't start because of the fouled plug -- a vicious circle! It can all begin with a low stator output.

I pulled one off recently and found the 3 yellow wires were pinched so tightly together that they had fused into one, and the copper wires were touching in places -- for the same symptoms you describe.

Short of pulling the flywheel again, you can at least check for charging voltage across the battery terminals while running -- IFF you get it running! fun fun these beasts.

fixthedale

#20 Post by fixthedale »

Originally posted by cannondale27
Well if you dont have a D&M and havent ridden it much I bet you have just fouled the plug.Also which problems you listed are reliability problems?Any quad can have exact same issues if care isnt taken.

I sure wish you could tell me what we have done wrong to cause this problem. I would make some changes.

The plug was black and the next one and the next one. Prior to this problem we ran four MX motos and two MX practice sessions and three long (2+ hour) practices at our local track. The problem started at the end of the last practice. This thing starts one day and not the next. We rode it two days ago and thought we were good to go. Got ready to take it to the track and it wouldn't do squat. Put in a new plug and it started, ran for a minute died and wouldn't start again. It is running way too rich. We should have a D&M by Wednesday. We are just getting frustrated because we have missed two weekends of races and have a really big one coming up and need to get running ASAP. I can't even take this to a shop to get it worked on because the closest guy is four hours away. That is a problem you can't have with any other quad. I have a steep learning curve ahead of me and one very impatient rider to deal with. I'll learn this machine and I love the technology in the quad but in the meantime this race season is going down the toilet. Thanks to everyone on here for their help.