Engine Magnets

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kdeal

#11 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (jwheat @ Feb 10 2007, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not take the engine oil sump apart and place one of the quarter size magnets inside it? It won't have to be epoxied.... can't go anywhere...... and is easy to take out and clean when you change the oil.

Jimbo,

That is the first place I put one in the motor! If left loose it would find something ferrous to attach to I'm sure. I like the positioning of right before the pick-up screen (that's why I epoxy them to the floor plate in the sump). The oil inlet one is also manadatory for picking up stray parts before going thru the motor. The sump one picks them up before leaving the motor. The ones elsewhere keep the broken shards from moving around and damaging other parts. I'm working on one for the inside of the frame to keep from having to flush a frame.

Canniboomer

#12 Post by Canniboomer »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 9 2007, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
....... Caniboomer doesnt the skidplate wear on case in area your magnet is attached to?

Actually, they do not rub at that location -- it's on the upslope slant of case, just in front of the flat bottom. You can add them to any machine without dropping the cradle, after swabbing the grease off the case with brake cleaner or alcohol. I use 3M VHB tape(thin gray version with red vinyl backer), and it holds them just fine. You can peel the magnets off cleanly when you want to remove/replace. There is also space under the motor, along the front part of the bottom. I have plucked them inside of rubber washers, and used them as forward cradle bumpers, at a point of 1/8" clearance. A 1/10" magnet inside an 1/8" washer is perfect, I'll find some pics later. Just note that some clearance differences do exist among the different types of cases, so each must be verified... but the upslant is always free and clear. Smaller magnets in multiples are also great.

For anybody that is waiting until the next motor drop to add magnets, they don't need to wait. There are plenty of external locations to stop migration of metal in the motor or frame. Combined with magnetic drain plugs, you can do it quite easy to any machine.

zacke22

#13 Post by zacke22 »

Thanks everyone for all the tips, tricks, and pointers.
Zack

jinx44

#14 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Feb 10 2007, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use a cylinder shaped "rabbit pellet" sized one in the oil inlet screen assembly at the back of the motor. It just sits in the cage loose with no where to go, but no oil can get into the motor without going over this magnet.

Thanks for this post telling where all to put the magnets. Definetly helpful.

I am putting a magnet in this screen as well. However, I found the metal lip of the screen is in fact slightly magnetic. I am afraid if the magnet gets attracted to the lip, it will hinder flow. I am going to epoxy the magnet to the end of the screen on the inside. I was going to put epoxy it to the outside so its easier to clean, but I am afraid of it coming loose and going through the motor.

Canniboomer

#15 Post by Canniboomer »

I would avoid using magnets inside of a confined tube. It's just not necessary. Magnets DO work, and they can grow like a tumor with iron sludge, to eventually block flow.. That screen is hard to access anyway, and I fear some motors out there may have a forgotten magnet inside. The mass of goo will only get larger, and could become a "blood clot".

There are probably dozens of ways to use magnets. The following picture is just one example.
External magnets can be plucked off and replaced during oil changes, or just forgotton until a motor drop.
You can find any shape and strength. We had one machine collect and hold a circlip and other debris in the sump, after 18 months of riding....
The magnet used was a standard ceramic block magnet, and stuck on with the 3M VHB gray tape, to the outside of the motor.

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

I second that. I have seen a lot of gunk stuck to those oil inlet magnets. I think it would block oil flow which is gravity fed. Like Canniboomer said lots of places to stick them to outside motor.

m_mcgranahan

#17 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

Just wanted to agree with everything said so far. I lost an smaller scavange pump ring due to asmall piece of metal so these magnets are absolutely necessary!

God bless...

Mark

m_mcgranahan

#18 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hey Dave,

Just wanted to encourage you to add those pics of your magnet plaement to this thread when you get time.

Thanks

God bless...

Mark

Trouble

#19 Post by Trouble »

its such a pity magnets have to be placed throughout the motor for a small piece of mind.This doesnt seem to be a necessity on other brands,cannondale really dropped the ball on this one.While i like that they were ahead of their time,i wish certain issues would have been covered more "promptly" as im sure these things made themselves obvious during testing.Well i have the magnetic strainer set up and will do a magnet on the oil inlet,personally i would feel comfortable having magnets glued internally on the cases.just my .02 cents

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

KTM and Toyota both use magnets in all thier oil plugs.As a matter of fact most heavyduty or high end applications have them.Its just a good idea for the what ifs.Also tends to collect all the black crud that filters paper or mesh dont catch.