necessary updates

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kdeal

#11 Post by kdeal »

^^ I think C27 is selling himself short. He came up with the Stage 8 bolt kit and it served it's purposed to the intent of why he came up with the idea. I personally believe that once a crank has a Z400 bearing upgrade, that loctite is all that is needed on the stock bolts or stud update kit if already installed. C27's idea on this probably saved several motors before the other issues were diagnosed. The Stage 8 kit is not wasted money and it does the job it was intended to do. My hat's off to anyone who tries to make my bike a better machine.

:clap: :clap:

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

I know a big deal has been made about just doing the cartridge plate bolts but in my experience its only about half of the engines that the cartridge plate bolt wiggles out. the other half were the tiny bolts like piston pin access cove,chain guide holddowns,oil line.ect. These are the ones that really do the serios damage.

I was holding back but personally I dont like the stage 8 . I dont like the idea of all those little snap rings which could break ,. Ive had to redo a couple engines that have been stage 8 and 2 out of 3 were done totally wrong. The clips metal ears were on the wrong side ,not touching anything and they still forgot to locktite them . If done properly the stage 8 kit would be a great system. maybe instruction were clear enough with the kits.
I like the nut /stud setup myself because its faster,cheaper and the flanged nuts have a larger surface area for clamping down the thin aluminum plates. Plus the studs self guide the plates in when installing them.

Happyboy

#13 Post by Happyboy »

I like the stage 8 becuase if done correctly those bolts CANNOT come out. I loctite everything but still like the 100% confidence of the stage 8 kit. Until its time to take them out. YUCK.

azcannon

#14 Post by azcannon »

Stage 8's all the way baby yeah

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes they do remove all doubt if done correctly.I would find it hard to believe that 2out of three kits are installed wrong.Some kits were sold without instructions by others but I thought instructions I made were pretty complete along with help from the people on site.Never worried about the clips since motor has at least four of the same thing in it anyhow.Anyway point is you need to do something with ALL the internal bolts.

wistech

#16 Post by wistech »

Yep. 2 out of 3. I posted pics on both of them. I agree the important thing is to do something .

banzairx7

#17 Post by banzairx7 »

When I pulled apart my motor the PO had only 1/2 the stage 8 bolts correct. It's not hard you just have to give some thought to it when putting it together.

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

I think they just didnt really understand how they work. Maybe they were afraid to custom fit every tab? Didnt really matter the crank siezed in both of them LOL.

cdalerider75

Re: Re: Re: updates

#19 Post by cdalerider75 »

Originally posted by myEXgotstolen
i'm going with this one because although its been sitting, its got 2 hours on the entire machine, and hes selling for 1500. also, i love mechanical stuff, so i can't wait to start taking it all apart (and hopefully get it back together:( smile.gif )thanks for all the suggestions.... keep em coming!! thanks again...:clap:

Did you buy the quad.... if not I would like to chime in...

I am not sure how much money your willing to spend.. but the quad your looking at is a bone stock dale.. why wouldn't you go and spend the extra money to get a dale that is updated.. and tricked out? In the end you would save yourself a boat load of money.. might seem like alot up front but in the end you will make out..

Happyboy

#20 Post by Happyboy »

If its bone stock with 2 hours (true hours) then its a good deal. For another 500 he can do all the updates and have a very reliable quad for 2k. Then spend the rest on suspension and nerfs etc....

That is if it only has 2 hours on it. I would be pretty sure the crank would be in good shape if its that new.

I would get it and dump another 2k into the suspension. You got a new quad and you know what has been done to it. :drink: