Which chain?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
twisted

#11 Post by twisted »

Originally posted by wistech
Yep you will need one more link for a 14 tooth.  Its just a smidge to short for the adjuster.

Yeah I learned that already:)

Stock chain is 94?

Derno24

#12 Post by Derno24 »

I run the DID X Ring last a long time.

badvox

#13 Post by badvox »

I always thought X Ring chains didnt last as long as oring chains for atv's? But hey ya learn somethin new everyday.

See now I can be dumb the rest of the day cause I got my learnin done early. smile.gif

If you buy bulk length do you have to have a chain press thingy? And yes again thingy is a technical term.

jwheat

#14 Post by jwheat »

Sidewinder makes a chain that is super tough. I don't remember what they call it, but it has twice the tensil strength of an X-ring chain. It's pretty expensive compared to other chains but it won't wear out quickly. I bought one and ran it on the EX500 Ninja powered quad that I built and it did great. That bike spit every other chain I ever tried out the back.

kdeal

#15 Post by kdeal »

Quadramax was one of them. The only problem is that you can't find a master link anywhere for them except sidewinder. They are not standard 520 size on the outside due to the extra thickness.

http://sidewinder.server101.com/atvchains.htm

jesshamner

#16 Post by jesshamner »

Ok... so what is the length? I'm not even sure what stock is?

jesshamner

#17 Post by jesshamner »

Originally posted by wistech
Send me your motor Jess .  Ill beat a crank out of Tim next time I see him. We'll getcha going.

Can you beat the crank out of him first. And then I can send you my motor?biggrin.gif My local series is about to start up.

www.kyharescramble.com

NRath

#18 Post by NRath »

One day a long time ago I knew the number of links. The numbers you guys posted are close. Rocky Mountain says it's a 96. I bought like a 100 and stretched it out next to the original and cut it off where it needed to be cut, so I never actually counted my chain. The old one is sitting in a drawer in the garage- you're welcome to come count them!wink.gif
I went with a DID X-ring because it had the highest ratings, short of the double-the-price Sidewinder.

Also, I didn't have a 520 chain breaker handy, so I ground the heads of the pins off on the bench grinder.

kdeal

#19 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by NRath
One day a long time ago I knew the number of links.  The numbers you guys posted are close.  Rocky Mountain says it's a 96.  I bought like a 100 and stretched it out next to the original and cut it off where it needed to be cut, so I never actually counted my chain.  The old one is sitting in a drawer in the garage- you're welcome to come count them!wink.gif
I went with a DID X-ring because it had the highest ratings, short of the double-the-price Sidewinder.

Also, I didn't have a 520 chain breaker handy, so I ground the heads of the pins off on the bench grinder.

Oh you guys are so lazy.... Look in the parts listings...
LOL ....

Stock chain length on all but Moto is 96 links. I like buying a little longer and having a spare piece for mistakes and future gear changes.

NRath: I have the chain breaker and still prefer the grinder method. Unless I have the compressor on!! Then I just hit the adjuster screw on the chain breaker with the impact, and viola.

:eek:

jesshamner

#20 Post by jesshamner »

You guys make it sound like getting a new chain is a lot of work. The last time I put a chain on, it was pretty simple.