Spun Flywheel

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kdeal

#11 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Jun 6 2006, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
..Shoot..I think i did mine wrong..I put my holes right were the steel meets the aluminum.Iv done 3 this way to make it worse...Any pics?...Tho I only put in 4 bolts and used 6mm size. I also used selfcentering bits,like ones you get for a lathe,then bolted the flywheel to the drillpress table,was very easy to do.So then all I had to do was clean the hole up with the right size bit.

That is the idea. You are just trying to "lock" the two materials together. I would be scared to use anything that big (6mm) for fear of taking away too much material and weakening it. But only 4 of them shouldn't be too bad. But drilling where they meet is the idea, just make sure some of the threads are into both materials. If you drill just into the aluminum it doesn't do any good, and if you drill more into the steel inner hub, the aluminum bite wouldn't be enough to hold. One word of caution, be careful not to use bolts that go beyond the back of the flywheel, as you may hit the stator or something when installed. 10mm long seems to be the optimum length and it lets you stake it fairly easy.

Happyboy

#12 Post by Happyboy »

Yup. We put them right at the joint of the steel and aluminum. I have used only 3 on mine and they have held fine. But, from the looks of it these things can still fail, and will under the conditions Wistech said above.

Some are better than none. smile.gif

jesshamner

#13 Post by jesshamner »

Is there a weight difference after pinning the flywheel?

kdeal

#14 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Jun 7 2006, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there a weight difference after pinning the flywheel?

With the material you are drilling out (both steel & aluminum) and the steel screws you are putting in, it's probably a subtle difference in weight. BUT, you want to put the screws in as equaldistant apart as possible. Hence the extra precision measurement device (USAMoto's trailer hitch ball's nut) LOL ....Just make sure you put it back before he takes the trailer out for a spin....

Seriously, the nut is precision machined with 6 equal distance points, great tool!!