More Corrosion

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
JeffQuadShop

#11 Post by JeffQuadShop »

I've been using Golden Spectol antifreeze in my 02 and 03 Blaze and neither one has shown signs of Corrosion! Its much cheaper than the Evans stuff.

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

I used golden spectro also the first valve cover was very pitted.But now I noticed that the spectro is clear out of bottle and stays clear.It used to be blue and then turned green after running it.Maybe they changed the formula to work with magnesium?Maybe someone could check on this?That would be nice.It is the premixed coolant.

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

Here is a solution that a guy by the name of WJR came up with.We will see how it works.

WJR

#14 Post by WJR »

cannondale27,

Your plate came out nice! I ran mine a few times, no leaks yet--switched to evans, too. Any problems from yours?

LapTraffic

#15 Post by LapTraffic »

I switched to evans and am now seeing the fan run a lot longer. I dont know if Im over heating or not because I dont have a temp gauge installed yet. Plan to do it this weekend. I am tearing the bike down to do the powdercoating or at least inspect the coolant channels for corrosive slag that could be blocking flow.

The radiator comment is interesting, can anyone substantiate that? It wouldnt be too hard to fix but it would greatly increase the cooling surface area.

I love these bikes, there is so much cool crap to work on smile.gif

Cannondale27, would you reccomend the powdercoating if Im already running the evans just as a precaustion or just a thorough teardown and cleaning before returning to evans?

Also, do you know if evans is allowing for critical temperatures to be reached? I dont want to do overheat damage to prevent corrosive damage if you catch my drift.

What are the specs on that plate? and what sealant are you using with it?

Shouldnt be too hard to make, does it keep all the coolant away from the magnesium?

Thanks, Great threadQ

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

Laptraffic,
I bet your bleeder on the top of waterpump is plugged with corrosion.You wont find corrosion anywhere else just the valvecover and pump.
Personally I think the powder coating is a waste of time.The corrosion will find a way through it.
The plate keeps all the coolant away from the magnesium except where the bleed screw goes I put silicone in the threads so hopefully that would seal it.I still want a all aluminum cover but for now this is the best we can do to fix a ruined cover.
The evans is still the way to go if your cover isnt shot already.Lots of race car drivers use it so yes it will work in high heat conditions.Our fan is set to come on very early and even with regular antifreeze they run alot.It does seem that the evans isnt as efficient at cooling but the quads dont overheat even in terrible mud and slow speeds unless something is wrong.I havent had a mud harescramble yet so I cant really vouch for the Evans.A temp guage would be nice to test this stuff.

HOUSER CDALE

#17 Post by HOUSER CDALE »

Are there any cannondales that have a cover that doesnt have the corrosion problem? I thought there was one that didnt? If so how do you know if you have it without taking it off? Production date ?

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes the aluminum covers dont corrode.FX400 and very early Cannible had em along with the bikes.Most of these motors were replaced and the replacements had Magnesium cover.They are very rare.

Jaybr

#19 Post by Jaybr »

I think they stopped using the aluminum covers sometime around Sep/Oct 01 so it would only be on very early Canninbals. My 02 Speed #24 has a magnesium cover and the build date was Nov 01.

The rest of my motor is rock solid though:D

LapTraffic

#20 Post by LapTraffic »

So the bleed screw on mine might be plugged?

Where is that located on your picture?

Also, how thick is that aluminum sheet? Im going to pick some up tonight and fabricate the blankoff on saturday. Did you use liquid gasket on the back side to get a good seal?

I got 2 temperature gauges on order, they will be here pretty quick. I got a good deal so I bought 2 in case I have to replace one.

Hey quick question for you.
What temp does our fan come on at?

And have you thought about putting in a thermo couple switch set for say 215 degrees that would act as a relay for an idiot light to indicate a serious overheat condition?

THANKS!