Replacement fuel pump answers

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
GDITheman

#11 Post by GDITheman »

Dave,

Good point on the mountin gof the MSD pump. I had to go to 5/16th fuel line instead of 1/4 and had to move the pump behind the seat on the subframe like Jeff Stoess used on his GNCC quad. It wasn't hard to relocate once I figured out all the pieces to relocate the pump.

The electrical draw is another good point I never thought about. Maybe that's why I have battery problems.

GDITheman

#12 Post by GDITheman »

Here is the MSD pump.

MSD PUMP

The price on the MSD has gone up. Used to be around $86. MSD does not make this pump.

It says it drives 5.4 amps. Is that the same as amperage draw, Dave?

Holley has some pumps, could be made by Walbro, that have a low amp draw.

12-920

12-927

Could these work?

GDITheman

#13 Post by GDITheman »

I take it the new FI quads are using in tank pumps?

wistech

#14 Post by wistech »

I think some think that just because a pump is labeled high performance they will somehow get more power from it or will cure the problem the stock pump had trying to draw fuel through a plugged filter. Sure a higher volume pump may be able to overcome a plugged fuel tank fitting restriction for a while but is just a band aid on the problem.

I could not find any data on the stock pump either and its not listed with my local walbro distributors. Maybe a email to walbro could net us some cheap leftover inventory?

wistech

#15 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (GDITheman @ May 12 2007, 05:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is the MSD pump.

MSD PUMP

The price on the MSD has gone up. Used to be around $86. MSD does not make this pump.

It says it drives 5.4 amps. Is that the same as amperage draw, Dave?

Holley has some pumps, could be made by Walbro, that have a low amp draw.

12-920

12-927

Could these work?
h.
Both those pumps are rated at 15psi .
One other thing to note on these pumps . Our fuel pump is recomended to be mounted below the fuel level because its not designed to draw a vaccum when the line is full of air. I have seen this several times where the line had to be filled a little to get it to prime . I think our stock location is on the verge of being to high.

GDITheman

#16 Post by GDITheman »

Good point. Most pumps are made to push the fluid and not suck. So, the location is important. The MSD location behind the seat is high and the suction hose length quadruples. All of these things are not ideal. If the MSD pump didn't have such odd fittings and I could find a 90 elbow or two, I could mount it back at the stock location. I made some temp 90's and it just didn't work well. Too many pieces.

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

Let me know what kind of fittings you would need.I have a source.I make them at Parker.

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

You know today I was just building a bracket to temp hold the muffler on my subframe. It was held on with some vice grips . When the engine was reved up the subframe vibrated so bad out at the end that no matter how tight I tightened the grips they just popped right off. I cant imagine the torture that a fuel pump mounted back there must be going through.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

All exhausts should be rubber mounted.Hey speaking of fuel pumps you guys see the MaxiPad the LTR uses for a filter?What a pain to change also.

Lot of this fuelpump talk is because it seems that if a quad sits and gas goes bad it can sieze up the pump.Anyone know if there is a shortage of stock pumps?I have had same one on mine for 5 years now and still works great.Would be nice to get a replacement locally though if possible since these things always happen right before a ride.Thanks for look ing Wistech.

GDITheman

#20 Post by GDITheman »

The problem with fittings is the very odd thread size on the suction end. I spent an hour at NAPA when I got it trying to find any fitting that would fit. No luck.

It's mounted with hose clamps and a radiator hose sleeve. I'm really surprised how well it's held up. I haven't touched it in 2 years and I figured it would have popped off by now.

If I figure out the thread size on the suction end I will get fittings to relocate it back to stock location. I liked this setup better than putting the pump up by the ECU tray. Especially since I needed more room to bend the hose since I didn't have elbows. I figured since Jeff Stoess used this setup, it should work. So far so good. When this pump goes I'd like to put it back to stock location.