Dale is Sick

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Canniboomer

#11 Post by Canniboomer »

That el cheapo knock-off battery could have needed a decent first charge, and 2 hours on a small trickler is not very much at all. All of your juice could have been spent on the initial start-up and few minutes of running. You might simply have a combination of weak stator charging, and a weak battery to start with. You really must have a voltmeter, for less than $10 at the discount store. Make sure the battery is 12.6V est. to start with, and that you read above 13.5V when idling around 4000 rpm.

SlOoT

#12 Post by SlOoT »

Actualy, I have ridden my Cannondale with an almost dead battery. It needed an extra battery to start. After that I could ride it forever, but when I turn the engine off and then try to restart it within 5 minutes it would do NOTHING.

That means that the stator charges enough to keep the electronics "alive" ?

If the battery AND STATOR (recharge) are bad though..... that could cause problems.

And if the fuel pump is broken it will also cause problems laugh.gif

chigger81

#13 Post by chigger81 »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Jul 5 2008, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That el cheapo knock-off battery could have needed a decent first charge, and 2 hours on a small trickler is not very much at all. All of your juice could have been spent on the initial start-up and few minutes of running. You might simply have a combination of weak stator charging, and a weak battery to start with. You really must have a voltmeter, for less than $10 at the discount store. Make sure the battery is 12.6V est. to start with, and that you read above 13.5V when idling around 4000 rpm.

Thats nice stuff to know! I use a 10 amp trickle charger, and I have 12.24 volts right now, sitting in the shop. Thats not enough to run the fuel cycle though. It starts great when I hook it to my truck battery, but dies shortly after. I put it back on the charger for now. I'll get it started in a while and test while its running.

- And yea, I have the new fuel petcock/valve on the rear of the tank. The pump seems to be doing its job when it has juice? It made ALOT less noise after I put it on there. I guess the stock ones were junk.

chigger81

#14 Post by chigger81 »

12.7v @ idle
12.8v @ 4k
Read 12.4v @ idle after just a 3 or 4 minute run.
Seems to be draining my juice real fast when its running. Stator?

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

Sounds like it.Could just be the wires in back of stator that go up through the case.There is a clip that will wear through the wires.Just fix them up and put some sheathing over them if they arent melted real bad.

MyCannibal

#16 Post by MyCannibal »

10 amp trickle charger?...or 1.0 amp?

chigger81

#17 Post by chigger81 »

ten

Happyboy

#18 Post by Happyboy »

10 is bad. It'll eat a batter if you leave it on there for more than 20 or so minutes. Always use a 1.5 or lower trickle charger.

chigger81

#19 Post by chigger81 »

When I took off the flywheel cover, I found some metal shavings, so I immediately thought "Drat! main bearing."

Then I took off the flywheel and the stator dropped out with it.

found this...

My only guess is that ALL THREE stator bolts backed out? idk

A couple of the wires on the stator are damaged, but the real problem would of course be the case. How the heck am I gonna get another stator to stay on there? I was thinkin about JB Welding three studs in there, then I would have to make sure nuts would clear the flywheel though. Any ideas? Cant really tap it out. How thick is the case? I had timbo put in a new style main bearing, so I'm thinking its pretty thin.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

Here is what I would try.

See the ring in center?That centers and supports the stator.Get old one out and replace it.That will perfectly position the stator.Then JB weld those three buggered holes and using the stator as a guide drill out the JB weld and install some Helicoils.Measure the existing depth and dont drill deeper than that.

Also it doesnt have stator update (wire sheathing behind clip) so do that also.