ECM relay

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Canniboomer

#11 Post by Canniboomer »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Dec 6 2008, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, below freezing remove the relay.

But I see that page 13 of the EFI Service Manual specifically warns against removing the relay. That would also mean that a mere loose connection or corrosion at the relay could also damage the main harness.
Here is the quote from the Cannondale EFI Service Manual:

On motorcycles, if this relay is damaged, the engine can start but will shut down when the start
button is released.

On ATVs, if this relay is damaged or removed, the engine will run, but damage to a harness diode will
result. When the diode fails, the engine will not run.

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

Manual is wrong once again.It could overheat the diode or the Wiring to keyswitch since power is routed that way without relay but I know of alot of people running without it.

thedeatons

#13 Post by thedeatons »

Good catch Boomer, but my advice was verified with Scooter by cdsracer. Scooter said that below freezing it is fine to remove the relay, because the cold weather will keep the ignition switch cool (which is where the current is diverted through). During warm weather the key switch will get too hot. These are Scooter's exact words to us....

You know manuals, "beware low tire pressure can cause muffler bearing hydrolock".... They are always going nuts because of liabilities...

claas900

#14 Post by claas900 »

On ATVs, if this relay is damaged or removed, the engine will run, but damage to a harness diode will
result. When the diode fails, the engine will not run.[/i]
[/quote]

I'd like to know where the diode is at, I've never seen one in the harness or on the wiring diagram?

kdeal

#15 Post by kdeal »

It's in all of the later harness versions. Here is a pic in the schematic. Between the sp3 & sp12 splices:

[attachment=7667:Diode.jpg]

thedeatons

#16 Post by thedeatons »

We removed the relays on a dozen quads for snow use at 4000'. None of the quads were damaged, all are still running.... sigh

claas900

#17 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Dec 6 2008, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's in all of the later harness versions. Here is a pic in the schematic. Between the sp3 & sp12 splices:

[attachment=7667:Diode.jpg]

Thanks next time I tear into one I'm going to look closer for it.