big bore kits

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

See now this is where opinions differ. Although I agree stock parts have proven to be high quality in most cases and porting is cheapest hp.

There is nothing like a stroker and no substitute for size!

Anyone who has raced these things knows the strokers are much easier to get consistent starts on and come out of corners way better. Its a big difference that has not been matched by stock sized motors. Larger piston is also same case to a much lesser degree.

Joep someone messed up your motor it should perform much better.

ozarkdaler

#12 Post by ozarkdaler »

QUOTE (Trouble @ Aug 25 2009, 04:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thats what im thinking,as far as getting what you pay for,not really.I seen a "relialibilty update" kit on another web site for the dales which consisted of a falicon crank and piston for $2600!hardly worth it for that kind of coin even if they were made of gold.So apro design billet shifter is worth $125?didnt think so...so one doesnt always get what they pay for,especially these days

Now sometimes people are just out to screw you. I got a stroker with the works for less than that. I was meaning going cheap as in cutting corners. I think there are some piston kits that are not reliable and have to have mods done to make them reliable.

claas900

#13 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 25 2009, 06:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See now this is where opinions differ.Although I agree stock parts have proven to be high quality in most cases and porting is cheapest hp.

There is nothing like a stroker and no substitute for size!

Anyone who has raced these things knows the strokers are much easier to get consistent starts on and come out of corners way better.Its a big difference that has not been matched by stock sized motors.Larger piston is also same case to a much lesser degree.

Joep someone messed up your motor it should perform much better.

I agree with strokers, the wait is the killer part. As for piston kits stock assco or cp anything else is a waste.

sillysspeed

#14 Post by sillysspeed »

way back when (b4 anyone knew anything-when you had to reangle your injectors to be reliable and make power haha) - I got a WWE 450 piston kit installed the same time i got my crank checked out and must say the power increase was minimal and dissapointing especially after I rode ANIMALSCANNIBAL 495!!! Port you head 1st! I also agree with Steve about the strokers being more consistent and quicker all around I could really tell on ANIMALSCANNIBAL power is much more linear

joep1219

#15 Post by joep1219 »

i know that my stroker will make good power and torque, never thought that it wouldn't. i just had some other issues that hindered my performance. but as far as wait time on the stroker, get a hold of pete he can have one for you in 6-7 weeks. and the quality was nice!

Trouble

#16 Post by Trouble »

i said i would more than likely have some headwork done this winter,if i can stay away from the indoor track,so if the 97mm piston kits are marginal as far as power increases go,how do the dales respond to compression increases?I know my 400ex was a totally different bike with higher compression and a cam.Im not looking for a stroker unless i can get it at a crack head price.I have a 65hp banshee if i want all out performance,just want a bit more grunt from the dale without having my wallet taken hostage,been there done that,i understand you have to pay to play and thats cool,just not looking to build a dyno king when i will never get my money back from a dale...unfortunately.I LOVE riding it thats why im gonna tinker with it a bit

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

Its barely noticable and mostly bottom end.Like said #1porting including open intake and performance exhaust and #2 stroker for the most power you will feel.

2mike18

#18 Post by 2mike18 »

I have been in to dales for a little over a year and a half now and I agree about the porting being the best bang for the buck, (had mine ported by timbo for $450 I think), BUT I see that nobody mentioned cam-timing and degreeing them in along with remapping for said modification. cam timing is almost free hp since it takes only time, patience and know how. that alone is night and day difference in seat of the pants power. since ya want to get by cheaply I would port the head, degree the cams, and remap the ecu to match and ride till ya cant ride anymore.

SlOoT

#19 Post by SlOoT »

What timing gives the best power for mx? I have timed mine @ 106/106. Other then that I got some mild porting, podfilter and FMF ti exhaust, MotoSpeed map (with more fuel on top). Stock bore and stroke. For me it has enough power to get the job done.

2mike18

#20 Post by 2mike18 »

QUOTE (SlOoT @ Aug 26 2009, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What timing gives the best power for mx? I have timed mine @ 106/106. Other then that I got some mild porting, podfilter and FMF ti exhaust, MotoSpeed map (with more fuel on top). Stock bore and stroke. For me it has enough power to get the job done.

sloot here's what i found in a quick search
106i/106e is factory spec and is strong on the bottom and mid
106i/109e settings are reported to have a smooth power delivery and more on top
107i/108e settings are reported to work well for mx with a strong mid and top
108i/106e settings are reported to have a good top end hit without loosing too much low and mid
108i/108e settings sacrifice some bottom and mid for more top end

some people have gone way more radical with timing I belive we went 113i/113e or 111i/111e on my 448 stroker can never remember without looking at my sheets I always misplace laugh.gif my motor has lots of top end for what I use it for.

My main reason for mentioning the timing is on my yfz I did the cam timing mod and it was a whole different machine afterwards. to my luck I have never ridden a stock dale both of mine are ported strokers one of which I had wistech's help building.