Dual battery setup

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Jaybr

#11 Post by Jaybr »

This setup would be in series and put 24 volts to the starter only. The second battery would not have ground until the solenoid closes and makes the connection. And the second battery would not get charged by the stator, but that could potentially be solved.

I'm currently running a second battery in parrallel which only provides more juice to the starter but keeps the system at 12 volts. Both batteries are charged by the stator.

I think I may rewire it to get 24volts to the starter and see what kind of difference it makes, but my quad starts pretty darn fast now when the motors warm.

moto50

Dual

#12 Post by moto50 »

Jaybr

How is yours wired now to keep it 12 volts?

Jaybr

#13 Post by Jaybr »

On the second battery, I ran the negative side to ground at the same point as the main battery, and the positive side to the battery side of the soleniod.

And I'm using a batcap 300, very small and 300 amps. it is expensive, but I thought I'd be the guinea pig and try it.

http://www.batcap.net

Bags

#14 Post by Bags »

I think I have it now, but where do you guys place the other battery? Is there a tray some one has made for it? Thanks

Bags

Jaybr

#15 Post by Jaybr »

The batcap is really small and fits in front of the stock battery under the radiator. I made a plastic tray to keep it from rubbing on the frame and strapped it down with extra large zip ties. the frame and radiator keep it from going anywhere.

The quadshop has madeup trays for the motorcycle battery they use that mounts somewhere behind the bumper, Jeff will have to elaborate.

cdaledave89

24 V

#16 Post by cdaledave89 »

You know, I'm kind of thinking that you're eventually going to cook your starter with 24 volts. It's no different than converting the electrical system on an old farm tractor from 6V to 12V. It will crank faster and start easier (especially in winter) but eventually you'll have to replace the starter. If it's designed for 12V, it will eventually be damaged by 24V.

rowlrag

#17 Post by rowlrag »

Originally posted by haydug
Well after a last place start in my first GNCC, I to went on the hunt for the 2nd battery. Look no farther than Jeff @ Quadshop. I bought a tray off of him, which uses the cannondale motorcycle battery, and wiring was very easy. Take the short wire from you seleniod to the starter off, and run it to the negative side of the new battery, then run off positive side of new battery to starter. That should do ya..

You are correct!

jamiesel

#18 Post by jamiesel »

Has anyone run the two batteries in parallel? What results from the extra cranking amps?

Jaybr

#19 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by jamiesel
Has anyone run the two batteries in parallel? What results from the extra cranking amps?

I do, and it seems to do great. I'm going to hook it up both ways and do some comparisons when I get a chance and I'll post results.

JeffQuadShop

#20 Post by JeffQuadShop »

Dang, how did I miss this post. So far myself, rowlrag and Rick Cecco have had no problems since doing the 24v conversion. We are all still on our origional starters.

You do need to charge the 2nd battery every now and then. I rode 5 days straight in Canada and PA a few months ago without charging it and it stayed up the whole time. I'm still trying to get more boxes made.