I am ready for engine work

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cdrookie

#11 Post by cdrookie »

Originally posted by Mjollnir
I don't, depending on how you look at it. First, from a mechanical perspective, the more powerful maps add fuel and thus power to the engine. You combine them with new exhausts, which introduce even more air and power. Increased cylinder pressures, increased rate of acceleration, etc...

From the perspective of a statistician trying to figure for variables, look at it this way.b A stock cannibal map is most likely being run y someone who is not concerned about every extra horsepower, maybe not as hard of a rider as someone who is. Not a racer, but more of a recreational rider. Beats the machine less = less breakage = bikes with Cannibal maps may experience a lower "rate of brakage".

With that and another 2 cents, it will almost cover taxes on my 2 cents. biggrin.gif

Marc

cdrookie

#12 Post by cdrookie »

whoops! i'll never understand my computer:(
anyways, i have to disagree with mjollnirs comment on stock cannibal mapping being used by people not concerned about every extra horsepower. how's that saying go? horsepower costs money, how fast can you afford to go? the d&m kit is a pretty good chunk of change, and if you don't have a laptop...$600 is a good chunk of change to, hope that includes complete engine disassemble and reassembly.

CdaleRacer0128

#13 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

call up scott at champion and describe to him your situation, he's an awesome guy and will do wh atever it takes so your engine is running awesome in no time at all. he's in cali right now with maz and a few other guys but will be back during the week sometime

call his shop then and im sure he'll help ya out. He works with big winky's cranks and uses basically the same designs for his headwork and motor internals if you wanted to heaed that way. if not, he can hook you up through maz with what you need for reliability ordeals. Tell em Leric sent ya..

812-929-5332:head:

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Here is my two cents worth.Even if you forget about the balancing and the bearings the huge sideclearance is going to cause oil starvation problems to the top end.All cranks I have ever seen have this problem.Winky has only seen one good crank out of all he has done last I talked to him.I believe Haydug & Southbay get their cranks done by Winky.As far as the bolts,studs we know and Cannondale knew they had a problem even with studs in crankplate.Will Loctite alone hold?If everything is right maybe.I believe that Jeffs quad is immaculatly maintained but remember this.A xc racer strives to be smooth and not hard on his quad.That is how you finish a race.A rec rider may actually put more abuse on the motor even though the hours are less.
If you are going to keep your Cannondale why take any chances?A $1000 will get you a fully done motor.Yes that is alot of money but the way I look at it.My quad is paid for and I have had 3 years of use sticking very little money into it.Either I spend the $1000 or go out and buy a new quad for $6000-$7000.

4punksdad

#15 Post by 4punksdad »

I appreciate all of the info. This is JUST what I was looking for. The debate is a good one.

I really don't have the time or desire to tear into the dale, but I do want it to last for many years to come (just as a cool garage piece if nothing else).

I also believe the theory, if it aint broke dont fix it................so I am still up in arms. I guess I will call champion and see what they suggest. Not like I am lacking a quad to ride tongue.gif

jcv440

#16 Post by jcv440 »

Alot of good points have came up.

The way you seem to be Joe, I'd say you'll have the Cannondale in the garage for awhile.

Loctite vs stud update. I'd opt for the Stage 8 stud update kit, your looking at around $300 to have this done.

Crank issue. I'm with you Joe on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I ran my 02 for a season and a half with no problems at all. I didn't beat the crap out of it, but it wasn't babied around the yard. It was raced, and trail ridden hard. I really think the right oil/routine oil changes really matters. Yes the cranks aren't the strongest I've seen in a 4 stroke, but preventive maintence goes a long way. And if you do not decide to put a new crank in it while you have the stage 8 kit installed, your only out a couple more hrs of removing the motor if it does decide to seize on you later down the road. 9 times out of 10, it's not going to screw anything up that you wouldn't be replacing anyway. I'd replace the pistion either way, so really what are you gaining by replacing the crank before it does seize up.

So if it was me, I'd have the stage 8 installed, valves adjusted, motor cleaned out and inspected, and have it shipped back to me. Your probably looking at around $500 with shipping I'd say to have that done.

If you do decide to go with a complete rebuild job(piston & Crank) and the stud update, your prolly looking in the $1500 range.

DangerRanger

#17 Post by DangerRanger »

Hey Joe, I know you know my rep...best piece of advice....talk to Winkelbauer and listen to what he is telling ya, just the reliability updates is all you need (this includes the cranks and bearing, which everyone I have taken apart, whether it seemed to run good or not, was f-ed)I have two more engines going to winky next week at the dealer show, they are brand new and never started, not once. I am having him do the crank update, bearing update, and ship em back, the 450 is sweet, but I am like you, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but a little Preventative Maintenance goes along way with these monsters.

besides, when all the dust clears, I am gonna have less than $7500 in two brand new, identical XC racers!!

ben

cdalepilot

#18 Post by cdalepilot »

everybody don't foget to ad this to the formula to either going fast or having a dependable cdale ''this is a exotic machine ,that requires a skilled rider /owner" if you understand this you will be a successful cdale owner! :usa

Jaybr

#19 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by cdalepilot
requires a skilled rider /owner

Well that counts me out, I must just be lucky:confused:

cdalepilot

#20 Post by cdalepilot »

you know what i mean dont you ,all the money you soak into the motor will help but a non experianced rider or experianced rider can still tear a bike up. and on the other hand you want more power so you can be fast you first need to know how to go fast in order to be able to use all that power plus proper quad set-up. lets give an example of more hp doesn't mean you will be fast.a guy on a 450cdale with hardly any riding experiance vs. doug gust on stock cdale cannible ,who do you think gonna win that race. digger for sure. and we also got guys out there buying these cdales that are not doing the proper maint. so even with their upgrades they are gonna probably still tear up their quads. and a cdale is more finesse machine. i hope i didn't open a can of worms with this reply or offend anyone . :usa