Question??

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Jammer72

#11 Post by Jammer72 »

scavenger pump locked up maybe? Or possibly missing some teeth on the plastic pump gears.

Drew

#12 Post by Drew »

Is there an easy way to check the scavenger pump or plastic gear????

EuroGOD

#13 Post by EuroGOD »

I had one of these sprout it's ugly head a few weeks ago...
This was on a '03 Speed with the factory installed hose update.
First step I took was to drain the oil and blow the lines out with compressed air.
Refilled the engine oil and the darn thing puked again.

The next step from here was to remove the clutch cover (black or silver cover on LHS near gear shift) and take a quick look.
What I saw was interesting to say the least...
One of the scavenger pump gears had lost it's c-clip and slid to the end of the shaft. This disengaged the gear allowing me to turn it with my fingers.

The fix was rather simple, if time consuming...
Remove anything in the way and then let the engine tilt foward until I could remove the side cover. It took some fishing to find the c-clip but it was down there and didn't get the chance to destroy the engine.
Everything was then inspected, cleaned, re-torqued and re-assembled, using a new clip of course.
We filled it with oil and it stopped puking.

Tell us what you see and we'll point you in the right direction from here.

Drew

#14 Post by Drew »

I am finally oig to take a look at it today, Will I need to replace the gaskets if I take off the clutch cover and/or the side engine cover? I am going to print out the engine manual before I do = any tips or suggestions for taking these covers off?

Thanks

garysol1

#15 Post by garysol1 »

the clutch cover has a reusable o-ring. you may want to tilt the quad to the right a little so you dont dribble any trans oil out and make a mess. You will have to remove the shifter lever to gain access

Drew

#16 Post by Drew »

Hey guys I took the clutch side cover off and the plastic scavenger gear is in good shape and turning properly when I hit the starter button. The motor sounds fine. Is there something that could have gotten clogged - it has the oil line update. I didn't change the oil when it started spitting it out. Could the pump have locked up?????????? Any suggestion would be appreciated. I would take it somewhere but they are all saying 8 hrs @ 40 bucks an hour...

Thanks