Oil filter conversion

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Pro400EXC

#11 Post by Pro400EXC »

Well, now I am pissed...

I have SS filter,so now my stuff is about to blow up?lol j/k

Anyways,wheres the cheapest place to get these filters?(paper)

To bad Emgo can't start making them,there like $2 like Jasp said...

Derno24

#12 Post by Derno24 »

Emgo was making them, and you could have gotten them from Lewis at ATV addiction, but I spoke to him recently and he said something like they aren't making anymore. Don't know if that is true or not...

NRath

#13 Post by NRath »

I'm not sure where he's getting them, but Lewis is waiting on an order of filters that will have the price cheaper than they ever have been. I'm not sure what he'll be selling them for, but I think it'll be somewhere around $4 each. I ran the SS on my Cannibal with about 100+ hours and haven't had a problem. All the bearings are smooth and unpitted. I think that saying that running a SS filter is going to cause a crank failure is a little much. It sounds as though it's not helping matters much, though.

TheJaspMan

#14 Post by TheJaspMan »

I'm just a cheap ***. I change my oil about four times a month. And although $5 a filter doesn't seem like much. $2 a filter just seemed better. Plus you could avoid shipping costs.

I figured if someone made a conversion it would pay for itself after a year or so. Not a big deal. But it would also be nice to use a common filter so they wouldn't have to be purchased via mail and then have shipping tacked onto the price...

Brad77

#15 Post by Brad77 »

I didn't know there were any problems with the SS filters. Does this apply to all SS filters or just the ones that came factory in the Cannondales. I have been using mine for two years now with no problems.

wistech

#16 Post by wistech »

Do not worry ... just clean them good and check them . This is really a personal preferance thing. Like the K&N verses foam air filter debate.

garysol1

#17 Post by garysol1 »

I was very hesitant to post Maz's letter since alot of people run the SS with no problem. But I do put a lot of weight in what he says. Please dont shoot the messenger.....biggrin.gif Its all I ask.

cdrookie

#18 Post by cdrookie »

my $.02. was any aftermarket ss oil filter available when cannondale was doing their testing? and if they're so bad why did they put them in their machines? the ones being offered now appear to be a much better design than cannondales.

i'd say routine oil changes would be more important to crank bearing longevity than if your filter is ss or paper.

Jaybr

#19 Post by Jaybr »

Lewis is getting Emgo filters, Haydug should have some too soon as thier ready.

I was in ATVaddiction about a week ago and he was still waiting on them, I haven't heard of any changes.

Derno24

#20 Post by Derno24 »

Yeah I wasn't sure. When I called and spoke to Lewis he was saying he was trying a different avenue on the filters.....Not sure if he was just feeding me a line...Let us know when they come in.