help with troubleshooting?? please

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Ryanstones

Engine out in 2 hours 5 minutes

#11 Post by Ryanstones »

From full plastic and fluids to on the bench and the mess cleaned up! OK so the engine is out, now to figure out what to do with it. I'm tempted to pull the side case off, oooo and all those gears, and inspect the trans cartridge plate and seal and the crankcase bearing seal. from what i can make of the engine manual those are the most likely candidates. since i don't know squat, i'm concerned about making my problems worse. Still, my dealer isn't exactly confidence inspiring either.

thanks tricity, i forgot to order the springs.

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

It could be the seal for the scavenger oil pump.What ever seal it is it has to be actually sucking the tranny oil out like a pump would.That pump is low enough to get the oil from the tranny.I feel for ya having to go through this.

Ryanstones

update update

#13 Post by Ryanstones »

Good thinkin '27. I was looking at the c'dale bulletins this morning, when i saw scavenger pump cover on the Crank plate stud update parts list. Loaded up the engine and drove 90 miles to the dealer. He set me up on the same bench it was on last saturday:p With the side cover off i could see a gap between the scav pump cover and the plate. finally work the pump cover off, bolts were tight, o rings good. The OLD cover is still on the bench and when compared the bolt holes in the new cover castings are 1-2mm shorter than the old!!!!!!!! The nuts were bottomed before the cover was tight. Cut off a thread, checked a few other things and put her back together. So the stud update parts list really needs to include 2 shorter bolts.

Tonite It took me 3 hours to get her running again and that includes an hour workin around the radiator, which saved me 10 minutes in not taking out:rolleyes:
I will be riding tomorrow to confirm the fix....yeeeaaaaaaaaaa :cool:

Knight440

#14 Post by Knight440 »

This is Great to hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile.gif Hope everything works out for ya smile.gif

Ryanstones

#15 Post by Ryanstones »

Thanks Knight!

It's official, shes fixed! Ran great today, cept the clutch is toast and need axle bearings.rolleyes.gif
My arms and hands are sore! Whoohooo!

Ryanstones

#16 Post by Ryanstones »

oh yeah.

Knight440

#17 Post by Knight440 »

:cool:

Ryanstones

#18 Post by Ryanstones »

here's a pic of my last project and what really makes this sport fun for me!

Ryanstones

#19 Post by Ryanstones »

didn't see the mildbunch yesterday, nig's swingarm bolt is stuck. POS honda.
Not many pics either. I'll get more next time. Lots of bikes and kids with new christmas rides. pretty fun!

LapTraffic

#20 Post by LapTraffic »

Right on Ryan, glad to hear you got her ironed out and cool pics. You got anymore of that hill?

I went out on Saturday. Was flying down an old logging road cut. Pinned in 4th and occasionally into 5th when it straightened out enough (I dont know how fast that is) The road is all overgrown with Scotch bloom so it's tight, but very predictable and you can really haul a$$ on it.

It had rained A LOT in the last week and was very cold (34 degrees) I came flyin around a corner and found what was normally a nice rutted turn to rather be a small lake.

There was no way to hydro across it as it turned pretty sharp. The whole thing was about 45' long and about 1' deep.

I hit the brakes and skidded across about 20' in a huge wall of water then the fronts bit and the bike went over.

I dropped off and rolled a couple times through water which was about a degree and a half above freezing.

The bike rolled through and landed on its feet, then died on dry ground.

The bad part was, as I was standing in the middle of this puddle (pond) my wife came flying through, didnt crash (SHE WAS GOING SLOWER!) and roosted me with another wall of water.

Got lucky, the bike didnt suck any water, and the water broke both of our falls. Nothing broke on the bike, and the only thing broken on me was my balls from the 3 hour ribbing I got from my wife and friends on the crash. I think theyre getting me a helmet cam for my birthday.