check valve question.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
NRath

#11 Post by NRath »

Originally posted by wistech
The hose I was refering to was the one coming out of the oil drain plug plate.

That's the one I was talking about, too. That's a return line going from the engine to the frame. I believe that it enters the frame at a high enough point that not enough oil can back into the case through it to cause a problem.

You couldnt put a chweck valve in the rear inlet filter because the oil flow is supposed to feed the main pump.

That's right, it's the line feeding the crankcase from the frame. This is the culprit. This one line can drain the entire frame into the crankcase. That's when the Hydro-lock occurs. The fact that you can not put an effective check valve in this line is what I unclearly stated in my other post. If a check valve of some type were to be installed, though, it would have to go in that line. As we also know, there simply isn't enough room to do it there. Especially with the header 1/2" off the line.

It would be tough to come up with an alternative to what Cannondale has done. It would probably have to be inside the engine, which makes it pretty difficult to come up with.sad.gif