got any ideas?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Happyboy

#11 Post by Happyboy »

OK, we messed with it some more. It seems like it has low compression. Hmmmm.... We are trying to track down the correct size for a compression tester to check it out. Now we just have to find out what end the compression problem is on. The head or the piston. We did a visual check when we had the head off last time and everything on it and the piston looked good.

How can we check it out?

garysol1

#12 Post by garysol1 »

keep in mind low compresion can also be caused by a cam gear being out of time on the chain.

Happyboy

#13 Post by Happyboy »

Could the sudden jolt of the lockup have messed something up in the head? The timing is all aligned nicely but something has to be messed up for this to be happening.

wistech

#14 Post by wistech »

How does the decompression device look . Does the weight move freely . Im thinking if the compression is low maybe the pin broke and its not deactivating holding the valve open.

Happyboy

#15 Post by Happyboy »

Well, we were aiming at the head thinking that is where the problems were at. Took the valve cover back off to look at the compression mechanism. It looks fine. Both cams look good bt we have to put a feeler to them and check the spacing. Did notice one little problem with the intake though. The mounts are cracked. The mount on the tranny side is flat out broken all the way through one side. I gotta wonder what the **** caused that. I can't imagine a sudden lockup would do that but it had to of.

So, if the intake isn't opening all the way would he have low compression? I would just think he would have a low air to fuel ratio. And that could keep it from firing also I guess. Sound about right?

NRath

#16 Post by NRath »

I assume your talking about the cam caps, right? I'm not all that surprised to hear it broke, they aren't very thick and I remember thinking that when I saw them for the first time.

wistech

#17 Post by wistech »

If the valves were out of time the piston might have hit them and caused the caps to break. I suggest pulling the head off to check for bent valves to. Let me know if you need any parts.

Happyboy

#18 Post by Happyboy »

When we pulled the head the valves didn't look messed up. This thing has me puzzled. I don't see how they could have gotton knocked out of time with a bolt locking it up.

John, do you have parts for the head? If so then we are going to need the caps for the intake cam.

wistech

#19 Post by wistech »

Ya Ive got some cam caps. No marks on the piston?

Happyboy

#20 Post by Happyboy »

NOPE. We will tear the head off again just to be sure but I remember it looking good.