i'm about wore out with this thing!!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
TurboJay

#11 Post by TurboJay »

Doesn't look to good in the picks you posted. Sorry to see you having so much trouble with the dale. If ya have to send the thing anywhere, make it R & S. Kyle knows what the **** he is doing and can fix the thing right. That is who I am trusting with my little baby. It is over there waiting for a new head right now.

Keep us posted and good luck.

jcv440

#12 Post by jcv440 »

Ryan,

I think there is an issue with the crank bearing. Cannondale sent us a new rod and crank also with the stud update. The rod/crank sat for a week on the bench, and I could barely rotate the rod around by hand. I thought yours sat for awhile apart too? I think you have a good arguement with your dealer on it, whatever is wrong with it.

Hope everything goes well for you!

Ryanstones

#13 Post by Ryanstones »

My main thing is to get my freakin 'Bull running again!!! **** i miss her!!
Riding the warrior the last couple months has been like a return to the stone age!

Was anybody around for the first batch of FX400 engine problems? I remember a crank bearing problem with those and think that may be where this problem originates. Mine is an original motor. I don't think my dealer handled the rebuild and stud update properly. But how can i prove anything? He is not stepping up. I don't think he could fix it if he was inclined.

Thank you for the input JCV, i don't quite understand though. What are you saying about they sent a crank assemble with the update?

jcv440

#14 Post by jcv440 »

Yeah, cannondale sent us a new crank and rod along with the update kit for the studs. I'll ask Scott tomorrow about it, he might have talked to someone about it. The old one that came out of the engine was sitting on the table, and I could barely move the rod around the crank. It was weird. It was locked up pretty good.

The best place to take it would be Marcums. Terry knows the engine inside and out. He tore down the 2 moto's he ran in the Baja down to nothing, and re-assembled them. He's in Palatka, I don't know how far away that is. I know he'd get it fixed right for you though.

Brian(don't remember his sig) has a FX400. He got a new engine out of the deal, I can't remember all of his problems with it though.

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes pretty much anyone who had a problem with the first gen motor got them replaced along with the update to 1000 ecm.At our place oil blowing out filter was the major complaint the crank bearing was changed in second gen motor,flywheel,piston,rod,clutch plates and springs all kind sof changes for 2nd gen.It has been such a long time though I dont think they will replace your motor.Anyway it is your dealer who should be worrying about it.

Jaybr

#16 Post by Jaybr »

Ryan,

Sorry to hear about all the problems, I need to drop my motor and do a stud update and valve adjustment also. I think I may attemp it myself with Neil's help. From you dealer experience, it sounds like I couldn't screw it up any worse than they did.

How can you tell the differences in the generations of engines? I've got a very early Speed - s/n 24, with the old style case.

Ryanstones

#17 Post by Ryanstones »

Thanks JayBr.
if it's the painted gold left side case, then its original. i'm pretty sure. My engine Vin ends in 506. Obviously it would be a good time to check the crank bearings. With the stud update you are close to removing the crank anyway. Cartridge plate bolts was not a problem with the gen1's that i know of. I don't know if the update was a factor or not in my problems.

Man 27, I wish my dealer shared your sense of responsibility. I had oil puking once very early on but saw it as an overfill problem and didn't pursue it with c'dale. They told me then though, that they would take care of any problem i might have later even out of warranty. We'll see.

haydug

#18 Post by haydug »

You know they now have a crank case breather update kit also. It keeps oil from being spit into airbox. It does work to.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

Haydug,
Yeah that breather kit works well.Blowby from the wiseco in the first motors caused the oil in filter I always wondered why they vented them the way they did.Cannondale probably just decided to replace motors cause of other updates.Mine would blow when it was real cold.The new one never did it.

Ryanstones

#20 Post by Ryanstones »

yea, i got that kit too. Free updates! What other OEM compares to cannondale? NONE. I haven't installed it yet. Is it even necessary on the new engines?