cannondale engine problem

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

TB02-011 Stud update kit is the name of the bulletin.I am kind of going out on a limb here but it seems like only some motors have this happen(tranny bolts loosening)seems like around when the le's were made late 02.The new bulletins regarding the engine mount and battery tray are mandatory.
My advice to all the owners is to get the valve clearance checked and while the motor is out get all the updates done before spring comes around and you want to ride alot.Dont let this slide cannondale cant afford to have another round of replacing motors like in the FX's.

check valves
breather kit
battery tray update
new clutch plates and springs(if first two discs are bent at tabs)
stud update
motor mount update
new rings(if worn)

Ryanstones

Great Post cannondale 27!!

#12 Post by Ryanstones »

You are so right. All 'dale owners should check everything you listed.
Would you repost it as a new topic and we'll get Ben/Mods to make it a 'sticky'. Maybe post it at the 'confusion too?

What other bugs should people really watch out for? I've been hearing more about the rear sprocket carrier bolts backing out. I had a disintegrated foam seal in my 2part airbox that caused my piston wear. What else can we do to take care of our machines, so c'dale won't have to?

Yes, it does seem like the studs were a problem on a limited run.

markvette

#13 Post by markvette »

at first i was kinda afraid to post this topic but i guess it turned out to be a good idea. i just hate the dale bashers to get a hold of something like this. that is the reason i have not posted earlier about these engine failures.also till i talked to my source we did not know the cause of the failures.

Ryanstones

dirty secrets

#14 Post by Ryanstones »

I hear what you are saying Mark. I prefer to post problems here rather the 'connection for just that reason. Shame is though, if you had posted sooner, someone might have been able to help avoid a failure.

400exBro: don't be sweatin man, as said before these stud failures seem to be limited to a certain production run and they are all EASY for YOU to check, except rings of course. The dealer will know if he's done the updates or not.

LapTraffic

#15 Post by LapTraffic »

I have a late production run 02 bike that will most likely need the stud update. Im not worried about it as Im pulling the engine after this weekend and dropping it with the dealer for valve check and addressing any bulletins.

I know about the stud update.

The motor mount,

What's this with the rings that youre refering to Ryan?

Thanks!

Ryanstones

IMPORTANT!

#16 Post by Ryanstones »

Anyone doing the stud update make SURE that the scavenge pump cover seals against the crank plate properly or you WILL be pulling the engine again. One of the bolts may be a thread too long, bottoming before the cover is tight.

Lap, 'Dale27 said previously to check the rings when doing all this other stuff. Not an issue for you my man.

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

I posted the rings since with the motor this far apart for the stud update why not go the rest of the way.It would depend on how many hours you have on it and if there are any symptoms of wear.(oil burning,blowbuy,low compression,dirty or infrequent oil changes).I will repost with a new topic with everything I have ever seen on the dale motor.

markvette

#18 Post by markvette »

ryan
if i had known sooner what the problem was on these engines i would have posted sooner. you have to understand that we race every weekend and when these motors went we pulled them and put new ones in. i only found out about this problem a few days ago and rally by accident. i mentioned these motors to my source and he said he knew exactly what was wrong with them. he said they had the same problem with some of their race quads. i would have loved to helped a fellow cannondale owner out but at the time i did not know the problem. you also have to understand my situation here, my son rides for a dealer, part of my job is to advertise and push these quads not post every problem with them and scare people away. some people dont understand how cannondale has stood behind their product like no other manufacture.

Ryanstones

#19 Post by Ryanstones »

I understand Mark. I wasn't blaming you at all. I know you are a huge 'dale supporter. i'm glad you've been taken care of and Josh is winnning on his 'dale.

I do think having an FAQ of the known manufacturing irregularities that cause most (all) the various problems would be a great idea. If we could guesstimate the production #'s/dates that correspond with certain problems it would save owners undue concern and headache and help the 'dale bottom line too. tough job though.

My sense on the stud problem(no/bad Loctite?) is that it affected maybe a couple hundred motors used at the time of the LE run. Was that late spring 02?

Good tip on the sealant desertracer.

markvette

#20 Post by markvette »

i dont mean to burst anybody's bubble but i dont think you can say it is only the LE"s. we ride a moto, the first motor with this problem was the original engine. the second motor was pulled off a cannondale 02 dual sport bike. the third motor with the bent crank was a brand new 03 mx bike motor. i know that one is a totally different problem. kip has sold 4 LE's and none have come back for any problems including this one. actually out of all the quads he has sold this is the only quad with any problems, not all are raced but quite a few are. the cannibal josh raced before the moto was run hard and the only problems we had was the front shocks and he blew a seal on the rear shock.