Crank Bearings - do we have the correct info?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Jaybr

#11 Post by Jaybr »

27, we must have been posting at the same time.

I haven't asked about flex in the case and cartridge plate, I'll try to remember next conversation.

If everything is aligned properly and the crank is spinning true, how much will it flex. Wouldn't the crank wobble cause some side to side movement and additional force on the cartridge plate and case?

claas900

#12 Post by claas900 »

..Yeah Cannon27 I can agree with that, I heard that also about designing a new motor..
The more I think about it the more I think I'm going to toss this motor aside and do something different with the frame..
It seams like some new problem is always coming up..And it's getting old..Love it when it runs, but the other 90% she's down..

claas900

#13 Post by claas900 »

..To be honest I don't see why a misaligned cases would be a problem, on a motor with more then 2 bearings I can see it binding, but not on ours, as long the bearings dont "mind" it, it should be fine I'd think?
And as long as the crank is "true"with itself the rod bearing don't know if it's in the case sideways, tho the piston wouldn't be "square" with the head,or in the bore sort-to say"
There are a lot of bearing that don't need perfect aligment and live all day long, anyways we really dont have a problem with mains going out, well stock ones that is..problem is in the rod bearing...

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Jay that's what I am hoping. Did a little editing of last post.
I sure see signs of flexing of SSM case everytime I take one apart even when the bolts are all tight. I am also starting to hear of cracks in the cases in new places.

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

claas thats the dilema our stock bearings must be in perfect alignment. Otherwise there would be forces in more than one direction which it isn't made for. Main bearing failure will happen eventually it is just really so uncommon now that it isn't an issue. One reason for that might be that when crank fails everyone replaces the mains also. Put a crank in that lasts longer than stock and you might see more main bearing failures.

claas900

#16 Post by claas900 »

..Yeah,seams like its a never ending battle....hmm you think itd fit? http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat....rue#Post1174157

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

You sure you want to go the exotic route again:wow

claas900

#18 Post by claas900 »

..yeah its an addiction I have, just like with Cannondale..lol..no but to be honest, I've read a lot of good things about them, and also, chain is on the right side, pipe..and most vors kick forward, makes good power..And I figured if I get a 500cc range motor I can keep my EFI..I'm just looking for something that will fit in the frame with out cutting it..

bknight

#19 Post by bknight »

:confused: :confused: so the stock one are ok or this new one
that Jay said was a nu??
It looks like I'll be taking out the Moto this week. So if I need new ones what should I get??

Jaybr

#20 Post by Jaybr »

Personally, I'll be running the stock bearings in my motors unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I obviously won't be running Torrington, but I'll get a direct replacement from SKF or FAG or something.