motor and product evaluation 92hrs

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes great report.

Something to keep in mind here folks is that our motors were designed to last 100 hrs without failure on a dyno .Now I am no Engineer but real world testing such as Timbos group of riders does may even be tougher than the dyno test.The 100 hr goal Cannondale set was what they found the YZF 400 motor to last.This is the reason they claim to this day(formers)that there were no crank problems.The vast majority of stock cranks last a hundred hours then fail.Valves are a known problem and so are cams that are worn like that.Also the decompression is a weak spot.Looks like topend updates are going to be the next goal.All these improvements will make a more reliable motor than the factory even envisioned that is a very tough thing to do considering the money and resources the factory had.
Timbomoose has to really really be given thanks here even if there are a few failures along the way.I for one am going to continue thrashing mine to test the Timbo rod and pin.If it fails we will make some changes and do it again but my money is on something else failing before the crank.Thanks Tim :clap:

TheJaspMan

#12 Post by TheJaspMan »

That is one of the most detailed reports I have ever read! Great job. :clap:

Happyboy

#13 Post by Happyboy »

Excellent report Tim! I am very impressed with the work so far. You have done wonders. These motors are going to be like anything else, we (you) fix the big things and the next weekest link is going to pop.

Derno24

#14 Post by Derno24 »

Good work Tim!

timbomoose

#15 Post by timbomoose »

Well look on the bright side . The dropped valve gives a reason to pull the motor to inspect the crank.

Thats pretty much the way I looked at it.Not upset at all.Put alot of good hard fun hrs on the quad with no problems to now.Run things hard and week spots will show up.Plan on tearing apart the crank later this week and will post my findings,but for now have to catch up on jobs.The top end weeknesses are already being taken care of by Jay and Doug.Getting the cams hardwelded will last much longer than the stock casehardened and they are also getting them ground for more performance. How can you beat that.Have to be patient though most people working on problems and getting parts are a 1-2 man operation and takes up all of their spare time.(Jay,doug,c27 the living updated manual,champion,wistech,etc.)If it wasn't for people like that their wouldn't be a website or so many options for repairs and parts.It takes alot of leg time and $ setting up getting pistons, cams, sleeves, axels,cranks,pipes,nerfs,etc. and its hard not to get burned out.Be patient for these guys and try to have part#s ready when order parts to make these guys lifes easier.As for now things are looking on the up & up for these machines with lots of options.The only thing that can actually kill them would be a lack of enthusiam or interest.:usa :head:

dalewannbe

#16 Post by dalewannbe »

Do you think the shorter skirt on the 450 piston would rock as much if it wasn??????????????????t a stroker crank?

jesshamner

#17 Post by jesshamner »

Very nice report Timbo. I find myself waiting for updates on all the new possibilities that you guys are creating for us. My cdale is getting some hours on it and I know that will have to get some work done soon. Thanks for keeping this thing alive.:usa

blaze#52

#18 Post by blaze#52 »

great job, i know that that answered a lot of questions that i had about some of the mods. I think mine will be coming apart again this winter and getting updated.

TricityCdale

#19 Post by TricityCdale »

Wow, great job everyone. I am feeling better and better about keeping mine going. I don't know how you guys will ever be thanked enough. What would really be cool is a magazine article featuring all of the individuals previously listed and how they have taken the Cannondale from where it was during bankruptcy, to where it is going. All without ANY factory support. This is just amazing.

Psychosis

#20 Post by Psychosis »

Originally posted by TricityCdale
Wow, great job everyone.  I am feeling better and better about keeping mine going.  I don't know how you guys will ever be thanked enough.  What would really be cool is a magazine article featuring all of the individuals previously listed and how they have taken the Cannondale from where it was during bankruptcy, to where it is going.  All without ANY factory support.  This is just amazing.

:clap: Nicely said! :clap:

I would second a magazine article about all of you guys doing such great things w/these machines. Let the world know we're still here and still on top of the technology market and growing stronger.