Stroker crank question.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
ANIMALSCANNIBAL

#11 Post by ANIMALSCANNIBAL »

Quote "Never heard that before, I always heard longer stroke = more torque." Yes, longer stroke does = more torque. And yes longer rod = more torque. Longer stroke increases displacement.
Longer rod, increases leverage over the crankshaft.
A 2mm longer stroke will make more power than a 2mm longer rod. "After all there's no replacement for displacement." Longer stroke,,,, Good. Longer rod,,,, Good. Longer stroke AND longer rod,,,,,Great.
smile.gif

theJeStEr1340

#12 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Originally posted by ANIMALSCANNIBAL
Quote "Never heard that before, I always heard longer stroke = more torque." Yes, longer stroke does = more torque. And yes longer rod = more torque. Longer stroke increases displacement.
Longer rod, increases leverage over the crankshaft.
A 2mm longer stroke will make more power than a 2mm longer  rod. "After all there's no replacement for displacement." Longer stroke,,,, Good. Longer rod,,,, Good. Longer stroke AND longer rod,,,,,Great.
smile.gif

This reminds me of a statement I once read on a helmet.
"Want more inches, Stroke it." :eek:

ANIMALSCANNIBAL

#13 Post by ANIMALSCANNIBAL »

Originally posted by theJeStEr1340
This reminds me of a statement I once read on a helmet.
"Want more inches, Stroke it." :eek:

I used to wear that helmet.:head: :head: Till PA. revised thier helmet law, last year.:deal: :clap: :usa

kdeal

#14 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by Jaybr
Never heard that before, I always heard longer stroke = more torque.

Jay is right, and so is annimal... But a 2mm stoke will outweight anything taken away by a 2mm shorter connecting rod. ANd in the end, you have a bigger motor.

In other words, I will take a 2mm stroker crank with a 2mm shorter rod over a a stock sized crank with a 2mm longer rod.

The "torque" of a longer rod is not felt from the very bottom end of the rpm band, it is ususally good in like a flat track situation, where the rpm's never go very low. It gives you more pull out of the corners than a stock length rod. This was done due to engine size limitations.

MX Quad Dad

#15 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Originally posted by kdeal
Jay is right, and so is annimal... But a 2mm stoke will outweight anything taken away by a 2mm shorter connecting rod. ANd in the end, you have a bigger motor.

In other words, I will take a 2mm stroker crank with a 2mm shorter rod over a a stock sized crank with a 2mm longer rod.

The "torque" of a longer rod is not felt from the very bottom end of the rpm band, it is ususally good in like a flat track situation, where the rpm's never go very low. It gives you more pull out of the corners than a stock length rod. This was done due to engine size limitations.

I think annimal was saying longer stroke with a longer rod is better than a longer stroke with the shorter rod.

I believe a 2mm stroker crank only needs 1mm shorter rod. If you do the math a longer rod = more torque in the same displacement, but I doubt there would be anything detectable by seat of the pants in our engines with 1mm rod lenth differances

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

A longer rod decreases wear on the rod end bearings since it has more leverage and therefore doesnt have to move as much.