Important discovery with our fuel flow!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kdeal

#21 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by cannondale27
I am also going to try one of the filters in Jegs.The paper ones do seem to vary.Probably doesnt matter since there has always been plenty of flow out return line but has bugged me nonethe less.I will use one for a mechanical fuel pump since they suck the fuel out of tank like ours does also.Doesnt need to be highpressure rated unless you want to put it on outlet side of pump which also isnt a bad idea.

I have never had a Dale fuel filter problem or seen a horror story with one until Brian posted. But I have seen paper filters colapse on the inlet side of a mechanical and an electric pump. I do believe the rating is critical to the application though. If you should have so much flow thru a filter per minute, and it does not meet that demand, I think you would be starving for fuel. I think the material the filter is made of has a lot to do with it. The Fram filters seem to have some type of synthetic paper type element in them. I have seen filters that look like a piece of sponge is in them, & stone or screen type filters are common on small engines as well. All I know is that Fram's application for the filter we use is for a VW fuel injection application. I don't think some of the universal filters we see out there are of the same quality. Why?? I can only guess like the rest of us for now. But, I'm with NRath on this one, use the stocker or a known quality filter and you won't have the same type of problem.

MX Quad Dad

#22 Post by MX Quad Dad »

With the amount of fuel returning to the tank, it seems to me we are refiltering the fuel many times before it is used. I was thinking of replumbing the fuel line. By putting a TEE between the pump and injectors, Hooking the regulator up at the TEE and putting the filter between the TEE and the injectors. the problem is, when the filter starts to get restricted the regulator would get a false reading, but it may be easlily be detected buy a simple high rpm boag?

You may be able to use a coarser filter before the pump.

I don't know if the princables are the same, I have done a lot of work with hydrolics over the years and I have found several problems were people have put higher micron filters on the inlet side of a pump and burned them up.

Most common problems I have found with differant filter applacation.

people putting (high micron) papper were (low micron) mesh is suposed to be (not related to the SS or paper topic on Dale oil filters).

Not changing filters to the point were tracking begins. As a filter plugs and the flow is continualy pushed or pulled through the filter, it can open up passages larger than the micron rating.

Most paper filters have a shelf life. I have seen brand new Air filters with the paper cracked. On every ocation I have seen I have ethier found a date on the box, or evedance (dust on the box or fadded print on the box) to suggest it is a few years old.

Probubly the most common is improperly stored or handled. I have seen many dirty filters installed. ONe that bugs me the most is filling a fuel (deisel) filter, and some filters say to fill them right on the filters. My theroy is, I put a new filter on to keep the bad stuff from the tank from entering the injector pump. And the tank got the bad stuff from the method used to fill the tank and that is the method people use to fill the filter. And they do this while there is a bleeder and a hand pump right on the machine.

claas900

#23 Post by claas900 »

..I have a pic of my filter somewere on the forums?..i think its 8-10 microns?? I dont have a lot of time on it..4 or 5 tanks,but its holding up well. I dont use headlights so thats were i put it.

kgd57

#24 Post by kgd57 »

Gald to here you fixed your problem! Now maybe Daniel Boone:confused: ??
By the way I checked all the bikes I have and they all have 75 to 80% fuel when running. when revved they stay the same level. Maybe this helps someone.
Farrar have you repaired your crank? I still got this spare motor for the race, only takes a few hours to R&R:D

Oh well if not I'll see ya'll @ some other race.

Anybody for TT after Lorettas??

kgd57:cool:

BTW I also had the same problem Brian had and it almost kicked my ***! But you have to replace EVERYTHING to be sure. Mine was also a bad filter..FYI

wistech

#25 Post by wistech »

Ive switched over to the large capacity fram G-12 's well over a year ago and have not changed them since. They have at least 10 times the element of the tiny stock filter,are available everywhere and are just a couple of bucks.

quadprorider

#26 Post by quadprorider »

Got any part numbers for those filters wistech?

wistech

#27 Post by wistech »

Yes FRAM #G-12 I think they are 3 or 4 bucks.

claas900

#28 Post by claas900 »

..heres what im running,kinda big..but seems to do a good job and last a long time..i think its 8-10 microns..

USAMoto00

#29 Post by USAMoto00 »

Just so you guys know, I went out this weekend and ran it for all she was worth, no hiccup's anywhere. So beware of some of the filters out there and check them to be safe. It may be your own behind that your saving.:usa Mine stayed at around 70-80% full at all times even with the heat being in the mid-90's and high humidity.

kdeal

#30 Post by kdeal »

Brian,

What filter did you use this time?