latest project..... early motor

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Canniboomer

#21 Post by Canniboomer »

Three lobes of a crankshaft? but just not translated well to the crank logo?

And are you sure that cat is drunk? Maybe it ate the monkey!sad.gif

wistech

#22 Post by wistech »

No the monkeys fine . He was just finishing up a valve ajustment a few minutes ago. Good help is hard to find. I dont know about the cat hes been drunk on the couch since cannondale went bankrupt.

kdeal

#23 Post by kdeal »

I feel his pain..................

:cry:

cdalerider75

#24 Post by cdalerider75 »

Originally posted by wistech
back to the motor . Hows the galling on the wrist pin? Does it still slide in and out of the piston and rod easily?

I had to tap it out.. I will post a photo of the wrist pin... I also need to measure everything out..

cannondale27

#25 Post by cannondale27 »

Wistech spotted the galling on the rod small end in your pic.Could you also post a pic of the piston.Is it a wiseco or Asso?

cdalerider75

#26 Post by cdalerider75 »

Here is a photo of the piston and wrist pin.. notice how the wrist pin has marks towards one side of the wrist pin...

I am not sure what the marks exactly mean... perhaps wistech or cannondale27 has seen this before..

What I think it is from is a big bearing that is worn towards one side adding stress to one end.

cdalerider75

#27 Post by cdalerider75 »

I am not sure who made the piston...

cdalerider75

#28 Post by cdalerider75 »

I want to make a note here, I am posting these photos and posting my step by step cause I feel there is alot of guys out there that love reading about a motor break down. It is not to cause any mud slinging.

Back to the photos

Look at where I am pointing at.. it is like someone polished the surface.

cdalerider75

#29 Post by cdalerider75 »

one more... BTW the wrist pin measured .707" for the DIA and 1.925" long

cannondale27

#30 Post by cannondale27 »

That is what is refered to as a Asso piston.Either that motor has been apart or it was one of the rebuild jobs they did at factory since that is a late model piston.Uses wire clips and every one I have seen had scoring like that on wristpin not always on rod.But it doesnt mean the Big end bearing cage has worn into rod or anything.In my opinion the Wiseco pins gall at a lesser rate than the Asso.Wiseco are hard chromed.But the Asso piston is a very good piston.What does the galling come from?Well what it is is welding.From lack of oil or bad oil or just bad design.When you see that it means the wristpin siezed in the rod for a instant or two or three.Hate to bring it up but this causes a lot of stress on rod and bearing and could possibly be reason why some cranks fail sooner than others.In Yamahas when wristpin siezes it breaks the rod.But we have strong rods sooo.