overheating problems

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
guthrie08

#21 Post by guthrie08 »

right now im running evans and havent had any problems until now.

guthrie08

#22 Post by guthrie08 »

so where should i start with this thing, should i start by replacing the impeller, cap and bottle, and properly bleading the system? then eventually adding a aluminum valve cover? i dont want to spend money i dont have to, i just want to ride it before winter sets in.

61austin

#23 Post by 61austin »

Originally posted by guthrie08
so where should i start with this thing, should i start by replacing the impeller, cap and bottle, and properly bleading the system? then eventually adding a aluminum valve cover? i dont want to spend money i dont have to, i just want to ride it before winter sets in.

Start by checking the impeller and then bleed the system good. Then start it up and feel the hoses, as the engine warms up both hoses and the radiator should warm up. If one hose or the radiator doesn't start to get warm within a couple of minutes, shut it off, you may have other problems.

I have heard of people checking the impeller by removing the inlet hose and trying to turn it with a screwdriver, if you can't get to it that way then just remove the cover to check it.

guthrie08

#24 Post by guthrie08 »

thanks, when i check the impeller, does it mean its stripped if i can turn it clockwise or counterclockwise by hand?

guthrie08

#25 Post by guthrie08 »

and how do i reach that dam bleader screw, i cant get to it with a socket or wrench, how do you guys get to it?

azcannon

#26 Post by azcannon »

Originally posted by guthrie08

It depends on what you are going to do I guess , I would buy 1 and wait til I did the engine later to install it. Its a pretty big pain to install it.
For access to the impellar you need to remove the cover and you may need a few different 6mm wrenches to get off the last bolts and you may have to bend them up a little , and then clean out the opening to the coolant botttle .
I use blue loctite on the impellar threads when putting on the new one and perform the bleed procedure I described, I would reccomend a aluminum impellar I use them exclusively in arizona , and have a couple of plastic ones I don't trust the threads on.
If you pay close attention when you start it up to HOW its warming up you can forsee any problems with coolant not flowing by checking the hoses and its a good habit to do anyways after working on the motor where the coolant is affected.
Good luck .