Coolant Circulation

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
promod

#21 Post by promod »

QUOTE (CannondaleRider @ Oct 10 2006, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think your confused.

The Magnesium valve covers corroded, the aluminum ones do not.

Your right tongue.gif It was a long day

jesshamner

#22 Post by jesshamner »

Its definitely not the weep hole. Its leaking out around the bottle somewhere. There was coolant all over the bottle after riding it. I'm pretty sure it was coming from the cap.

Stunz

#23 Post by Stunz »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Oct 11 2006, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its definitely not the weep hole. Its leaking out around the bottle somewhere. There was coolant all over the bottle after riding it. I'm pretty sure it was coming from the cap.

I'm experiencing the same issue: cap leaking. I even tried putting a hose clamp around the cap to help keep the cap from expanding durring tightening, but this did not help.

I checked the gasket and it is in great shape. It might be the pressure valve releaseing a to low of a pressure.

jesshamner

#24 Post by jesshamner »

I remember Jaybr and Derno ( I think it was those two) talking about 2 different coolant bottle caps. One was made a little better than the other. Maybe you have the cap that isn't as good. I'm not sure what the differences were. ****, I'm not even sure if there are actually 2 different caps. Anybody know anything about what I think I remember? LOL.

wistech

#25 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Oct 11 2006, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember Jaybr and Derno ( I think it was those two) talking about 2 different coolant bottle caps. One was made a little better than the other. Maybe you have the cap that isn't as good. I'm not sure what the differences were. ****, I'm not even sure if there are actually 2 different caps. Anybody know anything about what I think I remember? LOL.

One cap has a brass center section and the opther is plastic. Dont know which one is better but if you need one I have loads of them. Send me your mailing addy and one is yours.

jesshamner

#26 Post by jesshamner »

Yeah thats it! It was brass under the cap. Since I found the bleeder hose pinched, let me refill and bleed the system and see how that works out. I'll let you know if I might need another cap. Thanks for the offer!

Canniboomer

#27 Post by Canniboomer »

Yo Jess, keep in mind, that coolant cap is designed to leak off at 17.6 psi (that is 1.2 bars of pressure, and is printed on the top of the cap). Our caps can vary several psi in either direction without causing a problem.

It could be that the cap was just doing it's job, and purging excess pressure. That would also explain the squishy feel of the hose, from the vacuum created as the system cools down after the loss of coolant, and possible loss of bleed from the pinched-off hose, and it then gets worse, etc.

So, I just HAVE to ask --- have you cleaned that "Majestic Mud" from between the radiator fins? you know, that sticky red PA stuff from the group ride? LOL......just kidding, but fishing too. rolleyes.gif

Derno24

#28 Post by Derno24 »

Jess, I know I have had way better luck with bleed off with the brass cap. Works better in my opinion. I have still used the platis with success, but the brass is more consistent and lasts longer.

Caniboomer is right though your issue was probably more at the pinched off hose.

jesshamner

#29 Post by jesshamner »

Yeah I'm thinking it was the pinched off hose. I have only leaked coolant once before. That was at my first race on the cdale when the radiator was caked with mud. I know have 2 different mud screens so there is no way any mud is getting to the radiator. Also, when it started leaking this last time, I had only been riding for about 5 minutes before I noticed it leaking. I wasn't really riding hard but I was in an open pasture with plenty of air flow going by the radiator. I should be able to look at it tonight or this weekend hopefully. Thanks for all the responses so far!

cannondale27

#30 Post by cannondale27 »

Jess most of the mud screens actually cause more heat than leaving it wide open.Anything with Louvers will definitly make your radiator less efficient.