oil everywhere!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
speedracer

#21 Post by speedracer »

Pulled the clutch cover as Deatons suggested, found the problem, saw a broken black plastic gear underneath the clutch basket. That blows! I guess that what happens when you cut corners on a rebuild i.e. plastic gears, mag. valve cover, so far!

thedeatons

#22 Post by thedeatons »

I like metal gears. Some like plastic gears because they are a fail safe...

Meaning: if you get a piece of a cam lobe or some other random metal shaving going through your scavenge pump, the pump will stop for a split second, and strip your plastic gears, causing a tear down so you can 1) replace the gears and 2) find the rogue metal shaving and it's original home (hopefully NOT a camshaft.

I like metal gears for two reasons:
1) It was what Cannondale originally spec'd before they went cheap on parts like in 03...
2) The metal gears just chew through the shavings, sending them on the the various filters and magnets that one has hopefully installed. This allows for longer ride time, even if you lost a chunk somewhere...!!

Two schools of thought, neither one incorrect.

ozarkdaler

#23 Post by ozarkdaler »

I have had both and never had an issue.

speedracer

#24 Post by speedracer »

The gear wasnt stripped, it was broken in half. I pulled two pieces that, I think was the middle gear. I read of a pin in there, could that have caused it to break in half? Maybe by falling out.

thedeatons

#25 Post by thedeatons »

Nah, pin is encapsulated(sp?) by gear... It cracked because it was plastic. During the engine inspection you are going to want to check everything though, especially the cam lobes and bearing surfaces.....

speedracer

#26 Post by speedracer »

Is there any instructions on how to replace the gears? Thanks.

jesshamner

#27 Post by jesshamner »

While you're at it, look for the 2 hoses that go into the frame near your right ankle if you're sitting on the quad. Remove the lower hose and let it drain. Chances are there is oil in there too. Might as well drain it to prevent a puking problem in the future.

thedeatons

#28 Post by thedeatons »

Cannondaler.com has all the downloadable repair manuals, including an EFI troubleshooting manual! I printed all of the manuals that apply to my Dales, then inserted the sheets into 8.5 x 11 sheet protectors held inside a large 3 ring binder. I take it with me wherever my Dale goes. If something ever goes wrong the EFI troubleshooting manual may lead you to the problem. The engine manual is very thorough. There are a few torque values that are off here and there though. Ask if you have any questions okay!?!?

So, it looks like your oil capacity is still somewhat in question. Once the gears are fixed see if you have problems starting the Dale or with it puking. If you still have problems then begin adjusting your oil level DOWN.

On another note regarding my oil change procedure above... When I fill my 1 qt container with my 1 gallon jug of Red Line I fill the 1 qt container all the way to the top, so it would be a bit more than 1 qt. Not much though. Just thought I would clarify that, I don't want to mislead anyone...

dalewannbe

#29 Post by dalewannbe »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Apr 22 2008, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well,its still blowing oil from the vent tube.Its a heavy stream at full throttle,none at half or idle.Does this sound like scavange pump gears?I do not have a clue how to repair this,but I would like to give it a try.Is there anywhere I can print out a step by step?bty,is this a remove engine repair?Thanks in advance.

Did you clear your vent tube. I had mine leak through the vent tube once, I made sure I blew out the vent line to clear it of oil. It maybe worth a shot. Otherwise pull your clutch cover off and see if your scavenge gear is still good.

thedeatons

#30 Post by thedeatons »

Umm... his gear was busted guys...

"The gear wasnt stripped,it was broken in half."