New Cannibal 440

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
newtocdale

#21 Post by newtocdale »

We blue and hand scrape bearings at work, but sounds like there needs to be some tight tollerances to hold oil for weeks. We use carbide for the scraping. As far as the case, there is an updated bearing that is wider? Or why the machining? How do I find the right case?

newtocdale

#22 Post by newtocdale »

Lots of little quirks to work out on this beast. Wonder if I can pick up a complete engine with all the mods done. So I can ride this beast. I can take the time to do the engine I have right. Who sells complete engines?

cannondale27

#23 Post by cannondale27 »

If I remember right the new mainbearing is wider and smaller OD.Its been a long time since I saw one of those old bearings.Look in the For Sale section for a motor or post a wanted add on site.

newtocdale

#24 Post by newtocdale »

Pics of cams and buckets

cannondale27

#25 Post by cannondale27 »

FX Cams.Billet decomp.Thats the best!They look good from the pics.Should be a chamfer on all the Lobe edges.You need to check decomp by seeing how much play is in the wieght.Wieght should be free to pivot but very little outward play.We fit a new rivet at pivot thats custom fit to get as little outward movement as possible and also check spring it should bring wieght back when held with wieght at bottom.The one bucket opposite decomp went through a bit of strain since you can see the where the shim is through bucket.Probably caused by sticky bucket in that position.My opinion is buy a set of acceldyne coated buckets or keep running the ones you have but keep them in same positions.Dont chance new stock buckets.

newtocdale

#26 Post by newtocdale »

Lobes need deburring. The weight has about .020 play if I compress it and push it all the way to the outside. .005 if I just let it rest then push it. It retracts all the way when hung upside down. Do I need to get a new pin for this one? Will I have issues with the decomp if I leave it alone? I might as well update this too right? When I took it apart that bucket did seem alittle weird. It seemed to stick when I was trying to get it out. Has a few random wear spots on the bore.

cannondale27

#27 Post by cannondale27 »

.020 is a little too much we always try for.010 on decomp..020 would last for awhile though.Then the wieght will eventually hit head and break off.Its not pretty after that.You can get the rivet kits from Peterock.If there are burrs on the lobe edges or no chamfer it means lobes are shot.It sure doesnt look like it from pics though.You could always wait and when you put motor together and degree cams just put indicator on both lobes and compare readings if different they are obviously wore.Could also use two indicators in a lathe or v-blocks.

newtocdale

#28 Post by newtocdale »

There is a small chamfer on the lobes, but it is small. It has no burrs on it at all. Ill add the kit to the list. I read that some of the early valves had problems mushrooming. How do I know if I will have issues with that problem?

cannondale27

#29 Post by cannondale27 »

Valve issue are really rare.We have good valves.All of them thankfully.As long as there is a chamfer and its even all way around even at tips those are good cams.

newtocdale

#30 Post by newtocdale »

Its been awhile. But Im still putting this thing together. I've started the reassembly. I lose my motorvation though. I get the bug, then have to head to work somewhere, usually cold weather. But I'm going out today to continue on. I started last month and got going on it. It's half way there. I've been picking up little things from Dave Canno-moto. Top shelf, at affordable prices. He knows his stuff. Wish me luck. huh.gif