Supercharged Cannondale

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Reeve

#21 Post by Reeve »

Are you still running a stock ECU and injectors? Are you running the fuel pressure up with boost? A centifugal off a honda would be way too big. They run the same type of compressor wheel as a turbo and it would surge right away on such a small motor. I have been building turbo cars for years and when I got my dale I thought about the idea right away. I found a turbo off a 3 cly sprint that would have been perfect but the guy wanted a bit much for it. With a small turbo you would not need a muffler so you could mount it right where the stock can mounts. You would just need to get a charge pipe up past the motor but that would not be too hard. I have not looked into what the stock 1000 ecu can support but it seems like a very antiquated EFI system. Building a megasquirt would open up all kinds of doors and all the hardware is already there for EFI.

cdsracer

#22 Post by cdsracer »

Stock ECU, tuned on a dynojet with ProCal. The injectors are Harley-Davidson. The idea behind this build was to see what a 432 could put out on 91 octane with some boost. Now we're moving to alcohol. Still waiting for fuel pump, lines and o-rings to arrive so we can install and resume the project.

I'm sure a turbo would be awesome on a cannondale. Thus far I'm very impressed by how much boost it will take utilizing a stock compression ratio.

cdsracer

#23 Post by cdsracer »

Stock fuel pressure regulator too...

Reeve

#24 Post by Reeve »

So no boost going to the regulator? If you keep an eye on the af and tune it will work fine but when you start cranking the boost on the alky you might need to go with higher pressure. The waste gate is a cool idea but are you planning on ditching it and playing with the pulleys to get the boost set when you get it all worked out? That should reduce the amound of power the blower needs to run. It is great to see a build like this. Great job keep up the good work.

cdsracer

#25 Post by cdsracer »

Yup, the wastegate is simply for adjustability, to see how much boost we can run rather than making a bunch of different pulleys. Once boost level is determined, we can just ditch the wastegate and run a sized pulley. Re: fuel pressure regulator...we currently have a lot of adjustability on fueling. If the HD injectors are inadequate, I have a set of 35lb/hr Edelbrocks that will hopefully get the job done. Otherwise, going with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator might be the way to go. Trying to keep the design as simple and inexpensive as possible.

proflow

#26 Post by proflow »

Very cool,

I've always used a rising rate fuel pressure regulator on my custom forced inducted stuff.
Also the concern about the belt folks is not a concern at all.
In fact the newer composit belts can be much stronger than a chain anyway. Especially belts w/Kevlar but they do get a little spendy.

Keep us posted !!!----Proflow

claas900

#27 Post by claas900 »

I wanted to give this a bump see how its going, what's the latest?

cdsracer

#28 Post by cdsracer »

Ran it on methanol at the dunes, 30 minutes of ride time per tank. About two and a half tanks in it started venting oil and then the bottom end seized up.

The supercharger can only put out 8psi, so we're going to go back to 91 octane after repairing the bottom end.

Other than that, it was ridiculously powerful and made our 478's look like 400ex's. Pretty much 5th gear in the dunes everywhere...going to change the gearing too.

cdsracer

#29 Post by cdsracer »

When we get it running on gasoline again, I'll get some vids and post them up. We didn't get that far last time out...it seized before we got to Thunder Mtn.

I can't believe how well this motor performs on boost. Maybe next year we'll do a turbo setup with methanol and go for some high boost numbers.

2000ex

#30 Post by 2000ex »

Was it a known good crank that went out that fast?