cold weather riding

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Derno24

#21 Post by Derno24 »

On your question about flowrate changing when you load maps. When you get a map there are settings already in it from the bike the map was designed on. All of the machines are similar, but not the same. If you don't load the map into your computer, then recieve throttle settings only from the ecu then your changes won't take.

I didn't know if you knew this.

wistech

#22 Post by wistech »

Oh really , when i loaded the motospeed I changed the flowrate back to what it was supposed to be before recieving all settings and then every thing seemed good. Would it matter if you change the flowrate before or after installing a map? Bear with me Im a slow learner. I think Ill get it hammered out.:hammer:

Derno24

#23 Post by Derno24 »

Well you shouldn't have to change the flowrate when you recieve just throttle settings.

What you do is load the map you want into your desktop or laptop. Then click on recieve settings and just recieve the throttle settings. This will bring all settings regarding the throttle into the map you want.

Throttle settings you recieve. min and max TPS, flowrate, injector offset, and throttle offset.

Then you just load the map into the ecu and done.

wistech

#24 Post by wistech »

Gotcha

wistech

#25 Post by wistech »

Ok more fun
I rode the quad on 2 occasions putting 160 miles on it .The first 80miles the temp was 25 degrees and it ran perfect. The last time it was 20degrees when we started then in the last 20 miles it got dark and the temp dropped to 14 degrees and what do you know same old crap. It wouldnt run above 1/8 throttle and every 5 minutes limping along it just shut off. Every time it would start right back up. But I did notice that just freereving it and watching the fuel pressure gauge I installed the needle would drop and waver from 42psi down to 35psi just before it would die. There is no water in the fuel and the filter is new. I am getting the feeling that the fuel pressure regulator is getting lazy at temps below 15 degrees. I really believe it is a hard parts problem and not mapping if it was mapping it should run crappy all the time.
Also ,I dont understand why they dont put thermostats on liquid cooled quads . My engine is running so cold that you can put your bare hand on the cyllinder head and it is barely luke warm. I am going to install a temp guage and block off airflow to the radiator and maybe mount the regulator behind the radiator so it stays warm.

Derno24

#26 Post by Derno24 »

What regulates the fuel pressure in this system. I thought it was just the pump and it flowed 42 psi all the time?

wistech

#27 Post by wistech »

There is a external regulator mounted on the right side of the engine by the battery. It has 2 fuel hoses and a vaccum line that is tied into the ecm map sensor. If you look at my pic of my fuel pressure guage you can see it just below and to the right of the guage. Its black plastic.

Derno24

#28 Post by Derno24 »

Got it. I wonder if there isn't a flaw in that design. Mybe a fuel pump with it's own regulator. I have seen them on car. I wonder if we could use that. They are a little pricy, but better equipment.

Just still wondering, Haydug mentioned something to me about something electrical acting up in the cold or an ecu flaw maybe.

I am just spouting off ideas. Mine acts out at 40 degrees.

wistech

#29 Post by wistech »

I agree this is going to be hard to nail down but wel'l get it. It might be the fuel pump shutting down because the computer is not grounding it ,or the fuel pump itself ha sthe cold start problem,maybe the diaphram in the regulator hardens up at a certain temp. Ive got ways to test all these things .

bouncerdude

#30 Post by bouncerdude »

ive had similar problems. i used to store my cannibal in a non heated garage, and when it was 20 or less the quad would start and then die when i gave it throttle. if i kept it in a heated garage for atleast a half hour it would start, warm up and be fine. several times it died on me when i was riding on the lake, but only at low rpms, like it wanted to be tached on. never at full thottle when warmed up.