cannondale engine problem

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Ryanstones

#21 Post by Ryanstones »

Originally posted by Ryanstones

My sense on the stud problem(no/bad Loctite?) is that it affected maybe a couple hundred motors used at the time of the LE run. Was that late spring 02?

I was talking about the time period a certain batch of motors was used across the lineup. was it about when the LE's were released. Just fishin here.Got no bubbles.

rolleyes.gif that's a lot of motors!:confused:

markvette

#22 Post by markvette »

i was just trying to show that it did not seem to affect one particular type of cannondale. i didnt want all the LE owners afraid to pull their quads out of the garage this weekend.

cannondale27

#23 Post by cannondale27 »

I cant really put a date on it either.It did seem though that it didnt take long for any loose bolts to work their way out.So really if you have alot of time on your quad the bolts must be tight and loctited and you should be good at least till you need to check valves now that all the quads need the engine mount reinforcement it isnt that big of a deal to pull clutchout and check some of the allen bolts if they are tight I would let it pass till valve check time.

fyrmedic

#24 Post by fyrmedic »

wow.. the more I read.. the more confused I get... I just finished putting my engine back in, filled the tranny oil, then read this. should I pull it out again and check it, or what. mine is an early 2002 cannibal engine vin 1000545. hope all you guys who are smarter than I can give me some advice.. Thanx!

Ryanstones

#25 Post by Ryanstones »

Hey Fyr, I really don't think you need to be concerned about the stud update with your vin. However, I am not an expert and make no claims of being smarter than anyone! except my brother of course. wink.gif You haven't had a problem, so you probably won't. I look forward to more expert replies.

LapTraffic

#26 Post by LapTraffic »

Originally posted by Guy432

It would also be a good time for me to do the oil line re-route update. I've never had oil in my airbox but I'm never riding prolonged periods at full throttle either.

Do you mean the crankcase vent hose?

Interestingly enough, I called my dealer to schedule dropping the bike off. I was talking to the head of the service department about the 4 bulletins I would like to address

Stud Update
Battery Tray
Crankcase Vent
Engine Mount

I told him I'd verify whether the stud update was done before bringing the bike in.

He commented that I'm the only owner who has ever called to schedule this kind of stuff. I asked him if he had noted any issues with the studs backing out. He said they'd seen a few engines that handgernaded because of it and they had to install new ones. Good grief, Id rather save this engine than have one go down during a ride or race and then have the wait for the warranty engine to get in.

Definately a good effort to consoildate the issues and be procactive about it.

Im trying to get all this scheduled at the same time and while the motor is on the ground they can do valve check. Im going to have the injector offsets reduced to lean it out and remap to the speed map.

fyrmedic

#27 Post by fyrmedic »

thanx for the info guys!. I am smarter than I think, but then I forget! lol... I did order the stud update kit from my rep, but then put the engine back in the quad.. duh!! It came in today... I'm at the parts counter.. he hands me that and all the other update stuff, and I thought wow, I did order it! Now to put it in, oh well.. its only more work. I just hope my wife won't kill me for spending more time with it than her!!

Ryanstones

#28 Post by Ryanstones »

uh, iforget too, but i don't think youcan get the side case off without removing the pivot bolt and shifting the engine down/forward. I suppose you could save some time by not unhooking all the hoses/wires, but it would be a pain to do all the engine work with it at ground level. I think i would wait for the next valve check if i was you Fyr. but i'm not paying your repair bill!

AlaskaSpeed

#29 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

I ordered my stud update today....you guys have me convinced that it's foolish not to do it while my motor is on the bench.....JIM

fyrmedic

#30 Post by fyrmedic »

Thats what I'm going to do, Ryan. I sat there in the garage today looking at all the stuff I did to get it back... pondered it and thought screw it, I'll wait till the next change, and valve check and do it all then.. means I can go riding sooner too:D