Red Hot Setup For Cannondale

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Jaybr

#21 Post by Jaybr »

Still hasn't shown up:confused:

I'm starting to wonder what's going on

Canniboomer

#22 Post by Canniboomer »

....still working -- the manufacturer is OK, but that ebay "seller" from Florida is full of the hot air -- send me a PM or email for the TRUE story, and to get on my list..... but don't worry, they ARE coming, just delayed...and delayed for good reason.

Canniboomer

#23 Post by Canniboomer »

...just an update...., coil and plug wires still being modified to matchup and fit, with more on this in about 1 week.

Jaybr

#24 Post by Jaybr »

So I guess I need to send my coil back and get a replacement?

Canniboomer

#25 Post by Canniboomer »

That's right, but our "friend" won't have anything to send you until the MFG gets feedback from my test of the latest revision....all delayed about another week....

Canniboomer

#26 Post by Canniboomer »

... update, the manufacturer told me today it was OK to use the original coil that they shipped, and gave me the go-ahead to try it with a trimmed-up version of the hotwire boot....
guess what?.... it fired right up !! seems to work just fine!

I detected a higher sounding idle speed with this change, which would indicate a very positive result. The difference in ohm ratings with our stock coil is compensated by the length of the hotwire, the engineers have now explained. Anyway, it works -- my Glamis was running around the yard with the seat off and no plastics, but it starts and re-starts quite easy. For right now, we are still perfecting the length of the sparkplug boot, and will advise again soon.

....by the way, I hooked the orange lead to positive, and the blue to negative, as confirmed with the help of this forum process, thanks guys.

acarli3

#27 Post by acarli3 »

but they claimed an HP increase as a result of the detonation/spark. Are you going to be doing a before and after dyno?:deal:

Canniboomer

#28 Post by Canniboomer »

The dyno results would be the best way for sure, just don't know if I can accomplish that very soon -- my other quad is down for other servicing, and our intent on this first one was to just see if it could even work on our EFI machines -- so at least we know that now. IT WORKS....cool.

The higher idle at exact same settings is a very good indicator of an HP increase, but I cannot make any definite claims, and haven't done high speed runs. Also, a slightly richer fuel mix is "sometimes" needed (ala D&M) with this setup, another indicator of HP increase. Only one other variable I should note, is that I switched from an Iridium 8 resistor plug to a standard NGK number 9 non-resistor at the same time of this install, as non-resistor plugs are recommended (not mandatory).

For sure, a dyno before/after with the same plug would be great, and then again with the non-resisitor plug.

Canniboomer

#29 Post by Canniboomer »

While waiting for the correct plug boots and backordered coils, here are a few pics of the initial test installation. The second pic is just an "example" of how you might locate the coil.... With my quad the fuel regulator is re-located, but there might be enough room on that strut anyway with the fan connector moved upward above the radiator lug... lots of options. The coil is a strong little
composite block in a casing material similar to the fuel regulator housing, and also made in Germany (like our Sagem components).

Canniboomer

#30 Post by Canniboomer »

...just one option for coil mounting: