Engine running hot

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
DangerRanger

#21 Post by DangerRanger »

thomez...close but not exact...cars and the dale are two different animals.

dale, has several things that have to go right.

System has to have pressue, impellar must be turning, bleed hole must be clear and working properly. the evans DOES not make the bike run cooler, in fact they say it will be considerably hotter..no pressure is great I guess, and no boiling of coolant, but what good is it if it doesn't carry more heat with it.

the reason for the coolant switching is only for magnesium compatability and for corrosion....EI and LP do both these + they pull more heat from the motor. hence fan running a bit more, and radiator should be warmer...I have seen to many dales puking evans...I ran it twice, and had puke issues...never again for mine or any I work on...only EI or LP at this point. besides..I can grab them at the local shop, or at the racetrack... just opinions and some personal facts man...smile.gif

Exodus

#22 Post by Exodus »

Hey, Derno,
You know all the people at C&D Racing?

wistech

#23 Post by wistech »

When you say evans was puking on you was it actually boiling? Sounds like you had some water contamination. Pure evans should never boil. Since these quads have no thermostat the fan is forced to act like one and it should cycle on and off regularly. Overcooling the engine will cause cyllinder distortion and uneven piston expansion and loss of compression,oil usage. It seems many people see the fan running as overheating but it just doing what its supposed to do. If it running 100 percent of the time then there is something wrong. I feel that the stock fan is way to small to begin with anyway and it doesnt even cover 1/3 of the radiator.

Derno24

#24 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by Exodus
Hey, Derno,
You know all the people at C&D Racing?

Yup I know them all. I talk to Colby and Dusty all the time and have even been to the shop. Even had the discussion that someone "could be you" is buying Colby's Dale.

Back onto the cooling issue I agree with Ben on this one. I just never realized how the system fully worked together till I read his post, but it make complete sense.

I also think we do need a bigger fan. Mine runs alot of the time and so does cdrookies we have been looking at other fans that could possibly help out.

DangerRanger

#25 Post by DangerRanger »

wistech...no contamintaion, and no it wasn't boiling. just got so hot the fluid must expand pretty good,and would puke out. It is an opinion thing...but again rememeber the ONE and ONLY reason for coolant switch in the first place is metal migration/compatability issues. I ran the old dale with regular coolant for over a year...but it also had an aluminum cover.

Derno, the fan is a fine size... remember you can move too much air through a radiator, such that it actually runs hotter...you need a slow mass of air pressurized, along with moving air to allow it to pull heat. (I did a college class study on this for our racecar team...we were finding the most efficent radiator design, fan, and airducts...) The factory fan is fine...but it also does not run at full speed...due to lack of power too it. I found this out in the harness testing..it is the one side by side difference you can hear and see, the fan spins almost twice as fast as stock, when it is wired properly.

Ben