motor and product evaluation 92hrs

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jfarrar

#21 Post by jfarrar »

nicework timbo you are the dalesaver:clap:

timbomoose

#22 Post by timbomoose »

Might have found the culprit that caused the valves to drop.Due to excessive cam wear the bucket also had extreme wear that was oddly shaped.The bucket pocket had a burr in it,probably caused from metal coming off the worn cam,and caused it to stick and to not rotate properly, which would cause the extremely odd shape shown in picture.This would make the cam hop around and skip on the bucket and put alot of stress the valve.Bucket looks pretty ugly:eek:

timbomoose

#23 Post by timbomoose »

Do you think the shorter skirt on the 450 piston would rock as much if it wasn??????????????????t a stroker crank?

Yes it would rock the same,but due to the longer stroke it would wear faster from the extra distant traveled in the same rpm causing more rock from more wear.The rod would also wear more for the same reason.I don't think it would be very significant due to only .039/side more distance,but would be more wear.

timbomoose

#24 Post by timbomoose »

Took crank apart and looked awesome.Will put up post tonight with ware measurements(or lack of) of the crankshaft pin,bearing,cage and rod with pics of sludge buildup and all.Z400 bearing seems to be the salution.Couldn't be happier.

wistech

#25 Post by wistech »

Oh you talk a big bearing but what about your ROD? biggrin.gif Have we any more TIMBORODS spinning yet? I promise I will build an engine this week and put one to the test. Ive just been kind of sick and dont want to be delirious like C27 when building engines.:eek:

cannondale27

#26 Post by cannondale27 »

Well I have 5 tanks through mine now(Timborod)still holding.Wistech get better we have to go riding this weekend if possible.Get some more hours.

440speedrider

#27 Post by 440speedrider »

hey timbo i tryed to call ya today and yesterday, just leave me a pm if ya found out any info from haydug thanks lot.

timbomoose

#28 Post by timbomoose »

Wistech,you're right talking big about bearing and also big about custom rod pin.Tested and are good.Rods are still low hrs so if something fails the only thing left is the rod.Right now 7 rods running and 2 waiting for some wistech abuse.So far so good.Testing is key to keep people from becoming guiny pigs on there hard earned money and to deliver a good solid product.The bearing and pin were done seperately to test different stages so not as many variables if a failure.0 failures as of yet.The way the pin and bearing looked, it looks like double crank life is possible.

wistech

#29 Post by wistech »

If there was a major problem with the rods they would have failed at the first high rpm run. The long term test will be to see if the carburizing holds up on the journals.
Tim do you have a good cam weight to prototype? I only have one of the old style and wanted to use it in my next motor? I have 6 of the cast wieghts. I will send along all of the parts that are available from ATK when they arrive. It seems I ordered way to many of the small pins and screws. I am no longer a guiny pig . I have graduated to lab rat and have a lab coat too. Anyone have any pocket protectors?

Even being sick in bed my spirits are high.

timbomoose

#30 Post by timbomoose »

I only want one of those pocket protectors if I can have one of those nice lab coats you have to go along with some tape for my nice thick glasses. .smile.gif Yes, can take a weight from my cam to get the dims.A little down today one of my cnc's took a dump today and scared to see what the repair bill is going to be,but still psyched about the crank.