The next Weakness in our engines!!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
wistech

#21 Post by wistech »

Im going disagree with C27 one now that the bearing pics are up. I think those two side pieces are the plastic cage covered with metal shavings from the rod bearing. The races and rollers are not heat discolored.If you look at the piston its just debris chunking up the piston skirt. The piston is not melted from overheating because it would have that damage all the way around. Just the normal crank bearing failure and its side effects.So there take that. Actually we need to pull the crank apart and check it out. Any radial play is bad. Thats a lot of metal from a side bearing with both races intact.

cannondale440

#22 Post by cannondale440 »

Crank plate bolts where all tight and crank width is kinda hard to measure becasue i have a cheap a** gauge. i get like 62.5mm with this piece of crap. That is way off from what the manual says, I must have measured wrong. Id also like to add that only one side of the plastic pieces look like that. Now that you mention that Wistec I can barely see some metalic in the plastic. It maybe my eyes playin tricks though. I wish i would have gotten a picture of my filter, it was litterally covered in shavings and I still really dont see where it all came from.

cannondale27

#23 Post by cannondale27 »

What are you disagreeing with?Rod bearing could be shot I dont know that.The race is discolored from heat and obviously the crank mainbearing cage broke and then melted probably in that order.The width in the manual is wrong it should be 2.474in. or 62.83mm.

wistech

#24 Post by wistech »

Just messin with ya steve. Havent seen ya riled up lately.tongue.gif

cannondale27

#25 Post by cannondale27 »

I was going to have you get a eye exam.Piston sure looks like it seized to me.

ANIMALSCANNIBAL

#26 Post by ANIMALSCANNIBAL »

How does the scavenger pump drive pin look? sad.gif
If it shears off, no oil will return to to frame, thus no oil to engine brgs. ect.

cannondale440

#27 Post by cannondale440 »

All gears, pins, and rotors checked out.

cannondale27

#28 Post by cannondale27 »

Did you ever check the crank bigend rod bearing?Your mainbearing cage may have melted from lack of oil caused by a piece of debris in the oil feed hole.

cannondale440

#29 Post by cannondale440 »

I havent had the time or equipment to press my crank apart. Though I can easy tell that the rod bearing is bad, I dont know if the pin and/or rod is still good. If you feel like checkin it out and pressin it apart I'll be happy to send it to you. smile.gif

A few weeks and Ill be gettin my falicon from doug and Ill need the races and gear transfered, I think anyway. So whatevers clever. I could have doug transfer the gear before he sends the falicon or perhaps i could send you my stocker now for you to check out. Then when I can afford the falicon I could have doug send it to you.

I dont really care how it gets done as long as it does. Im prayin to get this sucker back together before the group ride!!

Oh, oil feed hole was clear.

cannondale27

#30 Post by cannondale27 »

Well if your rod bearing is bad that is where all the metal you saw came from.From that point on(rod bearing going)many bad things can happen including metal getting into that mainbearing causing enough heat to melt the plastic cage.I wouldnt sweat it.Just make sure you flush the frame and everywhere else to get all the metal out before you put new parts in.If you want the crank split I will do it for you.Always intresting seeing what happened in there.The gear comes off fairly easily might want to remove it right away to save time.