No fuel pump

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Canniboomer

#31 Post by Canniboomer »

Brandon, I think your Cannondale initiation may be about 95% complete by now..... tongue.gif
You are very close to having a one-of-a-kind Glamis, no doubt.
All of the anguish will soon pass. I have a good take-off pump for much less than new, if that helps.

Actually I feel bad, and should have warned that all the recovery efforts on the pump should happen BEFORE continually testing it again and again with 12 volts -- you had mentioned your connection sparked again only once, and then finally died (no more continuity). So by now, the pump motor itself is likely spent. Of course there has to be a limit as to how many times you can energize a seized motor. Unfortunately, your pump motor was likely almost burnt out by the time you had even started this thread, after trying to bump it several times, or turning it over with no reponse from the pump.

So anyway -- we should blame it all on the prior owner, and not on the Cannondale -- that always seems to work! rolleyes.gif

desertbound

#32 Post by desertbound »

Thanks Boomer. Like I said, the fuel was so old that it looked like pee and smelled worse. HA ha ha. I'm just gonna chalk it up to the bumps and bruises of learning these machines. I have cooled off a bit and now I'm gonna just keep pushing forward. I want this dang thing to start and run. Ha ha ha. I am gonna buy two pumps so I have a spare from now on. Shoot me a email with a price for that take off please.

cannondale27

#33 Post by cannondale27 »

Cool!You scared me a bit there.

wayneschofield

#34 Post by wayneschofield »

Two things...

A lot of jap bikes are FI now and tend to have a pump mounted in a small alloy pot, remote from the tank similar to ours. They generally run 3 bar, like ours do, and would likely be better quality than our OE item. There a loads in breakers yards on wrecked bikes. Has anyone tried one as a quick, cheap fix?

Secondly, for those of us who 'lay up' their machines for a while in the winter or whatever perhaps a little 'redex' in the fuel on the last fill would save the pumps from seizure? The evapourating fuel is cold and attracts moisture which helps the steel rotors in the pump to corrode together. With a little redex or similar oil additive in the fuel the oil is left behind as the fuel evaporates and would protect the rotors.

cannondale27

#35 Post by cannondale27 »

Redex or Stabil would do the trick.Remember fuelpump always has fuel in it.There is a checkball in the pump.That little bit of gas goes bad real fast.Varnish and rust are both possibilities but I think its more varnish than rust since even after a year there is always gas left in the pump.

speedracer

#36 Post by speedracer »

I used stabil in my dale some years back,let it sit a couple months and it would not start,changed the fuel and it fired right up.I just drain the fuel now.Anyone else have problems with stabil & their dale?

cannondale27

#37 Post by cannondale27 »

It just prevent deposits,varnish from the fuel.I agree it ruins the gas after awhile but thats easy to change.The deposits are what ruin things.

rayspeed

#38 Post by rayspeed »

Alot of people in RV forums swear by sea foam for generators when they get gummed up from non use.
Never used it myself cause the name just dont seem right to me to be adding to gas!

ozarkdaler

#39 Post by ozarkdaler »

SeaFoam is great stuff

Canniboomer

#40 Post by Canniboomer »

Hey Ray!.... you should treat yourself to a can of that SeaFoam.
but no,.....you can't have mine!