Timing issue

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
quadsourcemark

#31 Post by quadsourcemark »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Feb 22 2009, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was the sticky bucket issue fixed? As in the bucket bore smoothed out?

No. I'm going re-check it when I get home from work. It's snug on the way in but it gets smooth when you bottom it out in the head. So I don't think it would be an issue since it never travels that high. I could be wrong. The bore is smooth and free of burrs. The bore could be egg shaped. I tried multiple buckets but the fit was the same.

Thanks,
Mark

thedeatons

#32 Post by thedeatons »

Dykem Blue Hi-Spot remover is what you need. Any machine shop that sells hones should have some.

quadsourcemark

#33 Post by quadsourcemark »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Feb 22 2009, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dykem Blue Hi-Spot remover is what you need. Any machine shop that sells hones should have some.

I put 100PSI to the engine using alcohol in the intake and exhaust ports. They bubbled like a hotub. The right front intake was worse than the others. Nothing seemed to leak past the rings. It looks like the right front intake valve may be tweeked. I have extra intake valve to try. I just sent the head and valves out to a friend who cut the valves and seats. Several friends and myself have used him for years with no issues. I may try and lap them in myself. I do have some Blue Dykem. I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks again.....

Mark

thedeatons

#34 Post by thedeatons »

Sure Mark... I'd be giving your head-guy a call!

quadsourcemark

#35 Post by quadsourcemark »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Feb 23 2009, 05:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure Mark... I'd be giving your head-guy a call!

Already did it.....waiting for a call back. I let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Mark

quadsourcemark

#36 Post by quadsourcemark »

QUOTE (quadsourcemark @ Feb 23 2009, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Already did it.....waiting for a call back. I let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Mark

My right intake valve bore that saddles the bucket is egg shaped. It's causing it to hang up. I'm sure it happen when the decomp lever got wedged under the cam. It requires a lot of force to push the bucket in / out. I thought of using a wheel cylinder hone to try and true up the hole. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

thedeatons

#37 Post by thedeatons »

Timbo uses machinery to get the sticky bucket out. I have used the Dykem, run the bucket up and down to find the high spot, then sanded it out with 1000 grit in that one spot only.

Yours may be too far gone my man.... Get an inside mic on it and give us some specs, some of the super-brainiacks will respond with just how screwed you are..... smile.gif

quadsourcemark

#38 Post by quadsourcemark »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Feb 25 2009, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Timbo uses machinery to get the sticky bucket out. I have used the Dykem, run the bucket up and down to find the high spot, then sanded it out with 1000 grit in that one spot only.

Yours may be too far gone my man.... Get an inside mic on it and give us some specs, some of the super-brainiacks will respond with just how screwed you are..... smile.gif

I gently honed it out. I verified all buckets move freely. The valves are sealing now. Only get about 25-30 pounds of compression. Now with the valves sealing air is passing out the oil scavenger pump hole. It looks like piston & sleeve kit time.

Thanks,
Mark

thedeatons

#39 Post by thedeatons »

LOL... Check it, you may be able to get away with rings. Intense vertical scoring on the piston and sleeve will let you know it is time for the complete package.

peterock

#40 Post by peterock »

QUOTE (quadsourcemark @ Feb 20 2009, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had the Exhaust decomp weight break and got wedged between the intake cam and the valve bucket....thus breaking the intake cam. I had to replace the intake cam and service the exhaust cam to replace the decomp assy. So I removed both gears from both cams. I used the manual for re-assembly. Eveything is lined up regarding the timming marks and TDC. But it does not run. I put pressure to the cylinder 100psi at TDC and it leaks through the exhaust. I rotate it 180 and it holds the air without leaking. Could this be a issue with the cam gear pins? I've done several engines in the past with no issues. I've never had the need to remove cam gears before.

Thanks,
Mark

When you checked it here you said there was no leaking, which to me would include leaking past the rings.

Did you do an actual compression check now that the valves are seating? If you did, did you hold the throttle wide open while cranking it?